Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Double Shootout strategy

Hi all, long time lurker and very infrequent poster...but I think that's about to change.

This is a very general question but...how should one play the double-shootouts differently than regular SnGs? I do OK at SnGs (low buy-in...usually $5) but not so well in the few DSs I've played. I almost never advance to the FT (but it's a very small sample).

Specifically I'm talking about the WSOP DS tourneys on Stars. They've added $16 DSs to the $650 so I will probably play some of these (already tried one). I have poker tracker, pokerace, pokerstove, and SnGPT.

I'll post some specific hands in the future...but here's one that happened Sunday night (details very fuzzy, I don't have the HH here). The short version is that I'm in MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , 3rd level, 9 players remain, multiple limpers, I limp, button min-raises...5 to the flop...pot is $525, everyone in the pot has about 1300 behind.
Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checks to me.
Hero?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Double Shootout strategy

fold pf but as played bet this flop and try to get all in.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 AM

Blogged on this recently, you need to loosen up compared to a normal SNG as chip ev = $ev on table one. On table 2 the ICM side becomes interesting and it is more a matter of understanding who understands this and getting ranges right than anything else - play with an ICM calc on this one.

Here the pot is big enough to be worth winning now... if you do not already have the best hand then you have a zillion outs, try and take it now with a big bet and call any shove...

Cheers, Mark
Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blogged on this recently,

[/ QUOTE ]

And it's well worth the read.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:54 PM

You should do a search on posts by Adanthar (spelling??)....he has made some really good posts about DS's. He basically says that they are dog sh*t and not good value for your money b/c of how the good players get "funnelled" to the final table and then you have to beat them again. I think that was the jist of it, but it's been awhile since I read the post. I think he recommended doing the cheap re-buy tournaments that are a donkfest (like the $5 ones) and then splitting up the $W to play in the $80 WSOP satellites. His post made a lot of sense....if you search for it, I'm sure you'll find it.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have read that Adanthar post (or one very similar to it). But I was thinking that when made that post that the WSOP DSs were the $160 DS that awards a seat in the ME. This year they added the $16 DS that awards 2 seats in the Sunday $650...so I guess I assumed that they wouldn't have the same level of players and they might be a decent method.

If the $16 DS isn't a good way to get into the Sunday $650 then I can accept that and I'll just keep doing what I did last year (unsuccessfully BTW)...which is very much in-line with Adanthar's suggestions in that post.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses. I have read that Adanthar post (or one very similar to it). But I was thinking that when made that post that the WSOP DSs were the $160 DS that awards a seat in the ME. This year they added the $16 DS that awards 2 seats in the Sunday $650...so I guess I assumed that they wouldn't have the same level of players and they might be a decent method.

If the $16 DS isn't a good way to get into the Sunday $650 then I can accept that and I'll just keep doing what I did last year (unsuccesfully BTW)...which is very much in-line with Adanthar's suggestions in that post.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, I didn't notice yet that they added $16's....I don't remember if he was refering to 160's or not. I'm sure the competition would obviously be weaker, but I'm guessing that the "funneling" concept would still hold true to a large degree.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should do a search on posts by Adanthar (spelling??)....he has made some really good posts about DS's. He basically says that they are dog sh*t and not good value for your money b/c of how the good players get "funnelled" to the final table and then you have to beat them again. I think that was the jist of it, but it's been awhile since I read the post. I think he recommended doing the cheap re-buy tournaments that are a donkfest (like the $5 ones) and then splitting up the $W to play in the $80 WSOP satellites. His post made a lot of sense....if you search for it, I'm sure you'll find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true that the double shootout funnels the better players to the next table. But a lot of the players who make the final table are not primarly SNG players still. Therefore it's not going to be any harder than say a $60 sng. I like the $16 DS a lot... the players at the first table are really weak. But I'm kind of bias because I won one last night. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 PM

adanthar link plz
Old 02-28-2007, 03:36 PM

The one I was referring to is this one in the Anthology.