Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 02:33 AM

Default 99 Middle Pair

Reads really aren't great atm. Only been at the table for about 15 hands. The BB tends to bet into a dry pot. He seems mix up his play a bit. UTG seems passive, hasn't raised and didn't bet top pair on the previous hand.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero ?

only 2k hands into 6-max so any input would be helpful.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:48 AM

Default Re: 99 Middle Pair

I'd raise the turn.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:18 AM

Why...
Old 11-27-2006, 04:40 AM

If I call the turn I'm going to be putting a river bet in a large percentage of the time. I think it's better to invest that extra bet on the turn to make sure we get the maximum from draws and worse hands that might fold the river unimproved.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 AM

I agree with the turn raise for the reasons you stated, but are we taking a free showdown or vb'ing the river?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I call the turn I'm going to be putting a river bet in a large percentage of the time. I think it's better to invest that extra bet on the turn to make sure we get the maximum from draws and worse hands that might fold the river unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you folding to a 3-bet?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:13 PM

Raise turn, ch behind on river... no draw he can donk here that can call on the river, cept maybe A6s, A7s..
Fold turn to 3 bet... might fold to river donk as well.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:43 PM

I think calling is best. It looks quite likely to me that we're already behind BB, although he might lead out with Ax diamonds or something like that. UTG is usually just drawing, and by just calling, we'll be able to make a fairly solid decision on the river since we're last to act. If there wasn't an over on the board, and if these idiot donks didn't donk multiway with a strong hand or the nuts (I see this alot), then the turn raise makes sense. But combine the facts that we're already behind a large % of the time, and drawing thin at best + we can potentially save ourself a bet since UTG is likely to light up on all kinds of rivers (we have no idea which draw he may be on), and it seems like this hand isn't worth more than 1bb at the moment on this particular board.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:05 PM

just call down. raising the turn allows the donkey to get away from his bad hands, and charge you most when he has you smoked. if he is bluffing, let him continue to bluff. if he has you beat, you won't know it so you want to get to SD cheaply.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:19 PM

I like raising here with the other player caught between. At least one of them is playing a draw and you should charge that draw 2 bets on the turn before he gets out on the river if he misses. I dont' think you are getting 3-bet here unless you are totally smoked, so a raise then check behind on river works for me (and fold to turn 3-bet, that smells of A5 or 56). Check behind river because you are likely against a flush draw/A drawing to pair or straight or you are behind to a T (I guess a set is possible too), therefore you'll only get called when behind.