Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 02:14 AM

Default Shift Lock Interlock Problem

I think my solenoid in my 2000 Maxima is busted. It was working fine when I bought it used, but it stopped unlocking the gear lever when I hit the brake. It still clicks, suggesting that it's getting power, but it doesn't follow up with the click/thump where the actuator moves the part to unlock it. I bet it's just gummed up because there seems to be a lot of crap inside there, due to a soda spill or something. Anyone know how much it would cost to replace it? I'm thinking of just driving like it is, sticking a screwdriver in the hole to shift out all the time. But I'm also thinking of selling it, and that'll probably knock a grand off the price right there.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Shift Lock Interlock Problem

have you checked all the fuses? I know you said it still clicks but there is a chance of a bad fuse.

Do your brake and tail lights work? Usually the gear lever says locked to prevent driving when something has to be repaired particularly the t and b lights

also for Maxima specific interlock problems I found this.

The gear shift has an safety interlock that locks the shifter unless you press on the brake pedal when you shift it out of gear. If the interlock is stuck it is usually the brake switch that is defective.

how difficult is it to replace the brake switch on a maxima?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:06 PM

The thing is, this happened gradually. It would stop working, but if you kept tapping the brake, it would unlock after a while. Sometimes, there was a lag between the first click and second click, like it was fighting through and trying to get there. And looking at the general state of affairs below the center console, I'm inclined to go with my original diagnosis that it's gummed up with spilled soda or something, that it's an actuator problem.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 PM

This exact same thing happened over the last few weeks to my honda minivan. Exactly as you described it, intermittent at first, but getting worse, we were reduced to using the screwdriver. We never had any soda spills though, and it wasn't gummed up at all. The part was $21 bucks, and it took me an hour to put it in.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This exact same thing happened over the last few weeks to my honda minivan. Exactly as you described it, intermittent at first, but getting worse, we were reduced to using the screwdriver. We never had any soda spills though, and it wasn't gummed up at all. The part was $21 bucks, and it took me an hour to put it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this a dealer-only part?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:17 PM

yes, it was