Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: is grimstar a bitch
yes 43 50.00%
yes 43 50.00%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: money vs happiness

I'm sure certain people are like that, but it's totally personality dependant. I know there are some people in this world that aren't happy unless they are accumulating as much money as possible, but they might not get as much enjoyment from jet-setting to Paris for dinner as some avg Joe does sitting down with a good book.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:33 PM

I hate it when people say money can't buy happiness. That is completely missing the point and is most likely spoken by somoeone who has money. It might not buy happiness but it sure as hell would relieve me of some serious daily stress in my life. Other problems might remain but it would be nice if money wasn't one of them.

The job thing is a tough one. I guess it really depends on whether or not you will be destitute or or just have a little less extra each paycheck.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, OP, considering you dislike what you're doing now so much, it's doubtful you are looking at your other possibilities objectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a very good point. I think I may be delusional about how much happier I would be, just for the simple fact I really dislike my present situation. Honestly I feel I may never find something I really enjoy doing, and I think that's part of the problem.

And as far as how big of a drop I would be taking
I didnt want to get into specifics but....

Basically I would be going from low 6 figures to about 40-50k. However I would be moving to a place where the cost of living is significantly lower. Comparable say from moving from Manhattan to rural North carolina.

However I have also contemplated going back to school (I dropped out of college) and working full time. Which I would imagine would also be very difficult.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Money can't buy happiness after a certain point, but lack of it can definitely bring misery and stress.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It might not buy happiness but it sure as hell would relieve me of some serious daily stress in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but it comes with its own set of problems.

I've been broke, and I've been... less broke, so I'm not just talking out of my ass here.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Poverty definately can't buy happiness.

Give me enough money that I can quit working and live just
a little better than I am now and you won't be able to wipe the smile off my face.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Money can't buy happiness after a certain point, but lack of it can definitely bring misery and stress.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wise beyond your years. Even if you're not 17.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 PM

1. Keep high paying [censored] job
2. Save save save
3. Quit high paying [censored] job
Old 10-16-2007, 05:35 PM

No utility curve in this thread yet?

It very much depends on where you are in life. I'm relatively young, so I'll endure a grueling, well-paying job for a few years if I think it'll make me happier later in life (career options, more savings) than the job I'd rather be doing. That probably won't be as much the case when I'm 40.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:47 PM

An American tourist was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The tourist complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The tourist then asked, "Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?"

The Mexican said, "With this I have more than enough to support my family's needs."

The tourist then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The tourist scoffed, " I can help you. You should spend more time fishing; and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat: With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor; eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York where you could run your ever-expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

The tourist replied, "15 to 20 years."

"But what then?" asked the Mexican.

The tourist laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions?...Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."