Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Note Taking Digest

I reviewed my notes on players this week. I found out something, my notes are horrible. This is my attempt to improve my notes. You can probably ignore most of the meat of this post and skip down to the links. I’m simply trying to follow my own advice to try to teach a subject in order to learn more.

Why take notes?
Currently the biggest reason for me is not reads on players, but focus. Taking notes really forces me to pay attention to the action. Also, good notes don’t necessarily translate into to reads, but they do allow you to better estimate the tendencies of your opponents. Use those tendencies to help you play your hand in marginal situations. Be wary of using those reads in large pots. Reads are nothing more then guesstimates. Calling in a large pot and losing is far better then folding because of a read in a large pot where you have a decent chance of winning or were ahead.

When to take notes?
All the time. Ive read several new posters ask about the validity of taking notes in the micros. The sentiment, you rarely see your opponent more then once. Truth is, playing in the micros is the most important time to take notes. Start those good habits now. Perfect those notes, so when you do move up you’re not scrambling to learn how. If you make mistakes now, it won’t cost nearly as much. Force yourself to concentrate on your game.
If you can’t always get notes on players during a session, its not the end of the world. Nomadtla details how to export your notes from pokertracker to your in game notes. (link next paragraph) This is very useful if you want to catch extra info versus opponents you see frequently or may see again.

How to take notes?
Frankly I just can’t do any better then what is posted in this Some “more” notes on notes Nomadtla. This should be the note taking thread that everyone refers to. It is absolutely excellent. It’s a long read, but if you don’t want to spend the time on it, that’s your problem.

Who to take notes on?
Not every player needs to have a note on them, although it’s not a bad thing. The key 4 people to have notes on are the two to your left and the two to your right. If playing 6-max you should make notes on the table. Notes are great for making decisions in marginal situations, which will come up more frequently with these players. This is not to say you shouldn’t take notes on other players, but simply these are the people your observations should be concentrated on. Other players include good players and players that give you trouble. Also, in the thread by cassette, Note Taking, one player mentions watching how players play in small pots and HU. I think this is important because your close decisions will come up in these situations alot with these players.

Sidenote: Using Ace Poker Hud is not a bad thing, it doesn’t make you a bad player. If its all you rely on I do think it can hurt your game. Also, those that say they never use HUD are just being foolish. Poker is a game of information, why would you want to deny yourself of some of that information. Instead, become better at using both notes and hud. Some folks will disagree, but that’s my take. The counterargument can be found here. When a Read is Not a read Entity

Links to all the major notes threads (micros, ss, and sssh) in the last couple years. I listed them in order of quality and usefulness. Some of the threads near then bottom have interesting ideas but not much beef to them.
Some “more” notes on notes Nomadtla
Player Note Examples(offlink)
Notes on Notes BisonBison
Taking Notes and Making Reads Aaron W.
Reads to Watch for Davelin
Top 10 Notes to Take SnglMaltScotch
Stuff about taking Notes Toss
Note Taking Cassette
Number Based Note Taking System IGMorton

Food for thought.
When a Read is Not a read Entity
Self Notes PygmyHero

My Thanks to LoyalGuard Search tips and techniques thread. Helped a bunch. I’m surprised its not in the FAQ.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Note Taking Digest

let me be the first to say nice work Bilge. I expect this to be posted everytime we see an "omg, how do we take notes" post

better yet, can we get it in the wiki and digested. mkay.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:50 AM

One bump for the weekday crowd.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:39 AM

THANKS! Added to my favorites. You and the Links proved I was right ignoring some advice from others.

Good Luck and good Hand!
Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 AM

One thing I was wondering when reading this "more notes on notes" thread:
When noting down what people raise with - do you note down position as well?
Also, do you distinguish CC, 3bets, capping?

In other words, if someone CC with AA, is that a limp for the record?