Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Default NL 1/2 and 2/5 games Time charges v. regular rake

I have played the 1/2 and 2/5 No limit games in Vegas. In Las Vegas, they use the standard rake 10% to $4 max rake each hand.

I heard that many Southern NL games charge $6 for each player for each half hour at the tables.

For people who have played both time charge and standard rakes: is the $12 an hour player time charge too much to overcome in the 1/2 NL games?

Or do the time charge games come out to around the same amount of rake as the standard rakes? I have a feeling that the time charge games cost the players more money.

Thanks,

Pack
Old 03-04-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: NL 1/2 and 2/5 games Time charges v. regular rake

Lets say you have 25 hands/hr @ 4/ea then that is $100 in rake

Lets say its 9 or 10 handed so your time charge ends up being $108-120/hr

Where you could see a negative, is if you play pretty TAG and only win 2 pots/hr on average and were therefore only losing $8 in those pots to rake and now you will be losing $12. Time charges are good for those that play many pots and become more of the norm at higher limits.

Time charges have recently found their way into many more lower limit NL games and this is because of the massive amount of stalling/thinking that goes on that hurts them from collecting as much rake as they would from a limit game where there arent as many big, long, drawn out decisions
Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 PM

Here in MI it used to be a $12/hour time charge at $1-2nl, but at the end of December they changed to 10% up to $6. I like the rake better. It's definitely possible to beat the $12/hour time charge
Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 AM

My experience has been that the time charge is no problem, even at $1/$2 NL. In fact, I think it psychologically loosens up some players because they are fixated on the $12 per hour.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My experience has been that the time charge is no problem, even at $1/$2 NL. In fact, I think it psychologically loosens up some players because they are fixated on the $12 per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have only played with a rake, never with a time charge. I always wondered about this because it seems like most players at lower limits barely even pay attention to the rake. I wonder if having to pay a time charge would make people less likely to sit down. But I could see it loosening up a game as well.