Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Learning Stud (hi) from the beginning

Hello,
I'm total new to this game, but it might seem interesting. I've saw all WSOP final tables with plessure and I really think this game has a higher level of strategy than nl holdem, there is also more strategy! Maybe somebody could tell me a few tips/strategies (in particulair video's?, that would be great)of how to begin. Or how to play a tourney.

I know a little bit what the starting range is, but I don't know which hand is big at the end of 7th street. Yeah a full house, but I mean is it good to call with aces down/split? And more such rookie thing.

I had another question, I think there's a big difference between Stud cashgame and tourney. What's the mean difference and which ingredients make you a good Stud tourney player?

Maybe I'm asking to much, but I would like to know! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Greetings,
Thomas
Old 10-24-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Learning Stud (hi) from the beginning

When playing stud, it is important to read your opponents' boards. If diamonds were live on 3rd and villian has 3 or 4 diamonds showing on 6th street, there is a decent chance that the villian might have a flush. In these cases, continuing to bet unimproved aces or even aces up can be dangerous. Other times the opponent's board may be very weak and continuing to fire with split aces may be correct.

As far as reading material about the game, Chip Reese's SSI chapter and sklansky's stud for advanced players are usually the most highly thought of works on the subject.

Because tourneys often play short stacked compared to cash games, there are times when you may check a street in a tourney even while you are ahead in order to save a bet if you lose a hand. For instance, you may check aces on 5th against a player with a flush draw because saving chips if you lose the hand might be more valuable than an extra bet won in the pot.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:01 PM

Okay, very useful info! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks.

When I'm playing a tourney. Is it wise to play loose or tight in the beginning? I was wondering, because in the beginning the antes/limits are so low you can't scoop a big pot. You can better save your shots. Or am I thinking wrong?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:13 PM

I would not play loose because even if you scoop a big pot early it wont matter much because stud is a fixed limit game. That said, if you make trips or another very strong hand, you can often jam because very bad players will call you with much weaker made hands.