Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-01-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: *** Official *** BluffTHIS! Cyrus accusation containment thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mrick chances of being cyrus are between 33% and 20%, discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 seconds worth of effort to perform a user name search shows that Mickey/Cyrus was banned ~Mar 07 while mrick reg'd Apr 06 and has been a regular since it looks like. Of course, let's not let inconvenient facts or a little sleuthing get in the way of a Bluffthistroll's witch hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this proves he isnt the same person how?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10 seconds worth of effort to perform a user name search shows that Mickey/Cyrus was banned ~Mar 07 while mrick reg'd Apr 06 and has been a regular since it looks like. Of course, let's not let inconvenient facts or a little sleuthing get in the way of a Bluffthistroll's witch hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Proof? Where did I claim to "prove" anything? Even a court of law only requires reasonable doubt. I just gave you plenty of grounds for that. So where's the "proof" that he is in fact Cyrus? Let us see it.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Proof? Where did I claim to "prove" anything? Even a court of law only requires reasonable doubt. I just gave you plenty of grounds for that. So where's the "proof" that he is in fact Cyrus? Let us see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Im really not down with getting involved in this drama. I just thought it was ridiculous to use that as proof or even reasonable doubt in the case of a person that was known to have used more than one account. It might raise a hint of doubt but thats about it. As for proving, I really dont care if it is or isnt Cyrus. I could find out pretty easily if I cared since we correspond via email from time to time. But I will enjoy this thread too much to short circuit it at this point in time.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he isn't Cyrus, he's managed to capture everything that was so offensive about Cyrus in record time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the following points to make in this little tempest in the forum teacup, if it is even that.

1) As Copernicus said, if the posting account in question isn't Cyrus, he's managed to copy not just his style, but his intentional lying distortion of the views of others, and his intentional use of logical fallacies.

2) Whether people here think otherwise or not, I don't care about others having differing viewpoints on issues, including Israel. However I care a lot about deliberately misleading and lying "debate". That is what mrick is doing.

3) As iron notes, I have cried wolf before, but also been right before. Regarding Cyrus' MB account, I spotted him very early on and no one else agreed, but lo and behold a THOUSAND+ posts later, it's suddenly clear to everyone and that account got banned.

4) I myself have made exactly two gimmick accounts on this site, one of which is now banned, to do or make what I thought were pranks. However I have never made one post (out of less than 10 made with those accounts) in either this or the SMP forum. I don't feel a need to hide behind other identities to make my views known.

5) ElliotRichardson and others have in the past expressed great indignation when the subject of gimmick accusations have been made. Why is that? Because they themselves use them and also wish trollish and dishonest banned posters to be able to as well, when those posters agree with their viewpoints.

6) Simple IP checks are insufficient to determine this question as people use methods to mask same (imagine caring enough to do that on an internet forum like this!), and also by using different ones at home and work can also avoid detection. The fact is that all of Cyrus' proven accounts have different IP addresses.

So to repeat, I don't care whose views differ from mine. If we all agreed there would be no point in this forum. It would just be a dittohead forum. But what I care about is honest debate. Intentional distortions and use of logical fallacies are not that. But of course that doesn't mean some posters just don't think well and can't be honestly stupid (think of Mr. 10 smilies-per-post).

P.S. ElliotR is a weenie and political hack.
P.S.S. iron you never answered my prop bet question in the PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 PM

Its worth pointing out to the those not in the know that the reason some are being so aggressive about cyrus is that he regularly crushed them in debate.

Most of if not all of the mud slinging and accusations constitute the archest hypocrisy and pot meet kettle.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its worth pointing out to the those not in the know that the reason some are being so aggressive about cyrus is that he regularly crushed them in debate.

Most of if not all of the mud slinging and accusations constitute the archest hypocrisy and pot meet kettle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth pointing out that that a great many posters here who don't think well logically admired Cyrus a lot and were snowed by his method.

The Cyrus method of debate:

1) minutely parse another poster's post and reply line by line;

2) throw in as many irrelevant links as possible to sources to show erudition and seeming knowledge, when in reality it only shows skill with search engines;

3) intentionally distort the views of the poster being responded to;

4) use a couple logical fallacies to dupe the logically challenged, as is done in political commercials all the time and use bold and italic font to highlight same;

5) construct and tear down strawmen;

6) throw in some more irrelvant to the issue at hand remarks in order to obscure the above;

7) claim the poster has been refuted;

8) refuse to be pinned down one sub-issue at a time when the above is replied to and instead insist on replying to multiple points only so as to obscure the errors and make others think "where there's smoke there's fire";

9) reap the admiration of the gullible;

10) rinse and repeat.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Excuses excuses, or what I tell myself to help my self esteem deal with the fact that Cyrus kicked my arse with steady reasoned debate on an allmost constant basis, by bluffthis.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:36 PM

In Cyrus' defense he was specifically named by Sklansky, along with El Diablo, as some who was "smart" and "has obviously thought about things". So I'd say DS probably disagrees with a few of BT's caricatures.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Cyrus' defense he was specifically named by Sklansky, along with El Diablo, as some who was "smart" and "has obviously thought about things". So I'd say DS probably disagrees with a few of BT's caricatures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil,

Reading comprehension matters. I too believe Cyrus to be highly intelligent. What I am discussing is the dishonest ends/means to which he uses that intelligence in political debate. And when I talk about the gullible and stupid, I am referring to those who believe his lies and distortions. However anything Cyrus says about blackjack is probably worth reading as he is an expert in same.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Im really not down with getting involved in this drama. I just thought it was ridiculous to use that as proof or even reasonable doubt in the case of a person that was known to have used more than one account....

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would Cyrus have come back as Mickey Brausch once he was banned if he was already actively using the mrick account? You really don't think there's even a hint of "reasonable doubt" here? I sincerely hope you never serve on a jury or court-martial, sir.