Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Bank robber wins 1 mil on lottery ticket-but hes not allowed play

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, seriously, one of the most detrimental, for yourself things to do, while also being one of the best, for the commonwealth, things to do is banned for felons? That's not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
You write like my textbooks
Old 11-29-2007, 04:20 PM

whey
Old 11-29-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You must know the story in Britain about the convicted rapist who bought a ticket whilst on day release and scooped the £7 million jackpot..sickening!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3554008.stm

edit: fixed

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how that is sickening atall tbh. He has a right to have money and do what he wants with it. I think it's just peoples pure jealousy that made that an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay, 'sickening' was just a turn of phrase (i.e. why can't it happen to me', not that he doesn't 'deserve the money'.

As it happens though, I think rape is a disgusting crime and he should be penalised.
Imagine a rape victim wins the lottery next week. All is gravy yeah? No. She has such little-self esteem that no amount of money will make a difference to her life.

Not that this has anything to do with it but I just finished second in a Crypto donkament! Happy days!

Damn thought this was bbv4l!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the state cant have it both ways and keep the money from purchased tickets in these cases and void the winnings if by chance one of these tickets wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, seriously, one of the most detrimental, for yourself things to do, while also being one of the best, for the commonwealth, things to do is banned for felons? That's not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. In the first case quoted, that's like saying, "Bob was told he can't buy heroin, bought it from an undercover cop, and then wasn't given his money back." Of [censored] course not, it's not legal for him to engage in that activity. The offender knows it, the court knows it, where is the problem? It's much the same in the second case quoted. Who cares where the EV is between the convicted and the state? If someone not allowed to play the lottery buys a number, that should be all the better for the rest of the state/country, right?

Seriously, this all comes down to personal responsibility. You [censored] up and a consequence is not being allowed to gamble? That's your consequence. You [censored] up again by trying to gamble and then try to collect? That's your consequence.

[ QUOTE ]
it would seem if the lotto winnings were voided, previous felons who played the lotto and lost would have an argument that they deserve a refund on their losing tickets.

[/ QUOTE ]
They "deserve" a refund for being [censored] idiots? Last I checked, criminals gave up certain rights because... they're criminals. They don't earn or "deserve" refunds for breaking the terms of their imprisonment.

I'm using a lot of pejoratives here, but I can't even wrap my head around an argument stating that criminals, forbidden by law to gamble, should be repaid for their gambling losses.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You must know the story in Britain about the convicted rapist who bought a ticket whilst on day release and scooped the £7 million jackpot..sickening!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3554008.stm

edit: fixed

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how that is sickening atall tbh. He has a right to have money and do what he wants with it. I think it's just peoples pure jealousy that made that an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay, 'sickening' was just a turn of phrase (i.e. why can't it happen to me', not that he doesn't 'deserve the money'.

As it happens though, I think rape is a disgusting crime and he should be penalised.
Imagine a rape victim wins the lottery next week. All is gravy yeah? No. She has such little-self esteem that no amount of money will make a difference to her life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but I remember the reaction of people at the time at that is what I was referring to mainly.

Obviously rape is a heinous crime - that's why he is in jail. You're point about the rape victim is very biased though. If a rapist wins the lottery a similar view can be expressed - he is still in jail for the crime he committed, he is still a disgusting rapist and no amount of money is going to change that. Also no-one except completely retarded Daily Mail readers would say anything close to 'Imagine a rape victim wins the lottery next week. All is gravy yeah?' since its obviously completely detatched from the truth.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM

LOL government.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL governmentaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got raped tomorrow by some burly black man with a ten-inch [censored] and then won the lottery the next day, I'd consider that a pretty awesome week (assuming I didn't get the HIV or something).
Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Give him the 50k/yr and have him deal with the violation of his probation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This would be the fairest way IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to be the only way to do it. Unless ofcoruse there is a law that says he isnt allowed to profit from banned activities kinds of like murderers arent allowed to benefit financially from selling books about their crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more likely that either (1) the law establishing the lottery or (2) the terms and conditions on the lottery ticket state that players who are prohibited by law from playing the lottery may not receive a payout. If a minor buys a lottery ticket and wins, (s)he can't collect. I suspect the winnings go back into the prize pool.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got raped tomorrow by some burly black man with a ten-inch [censored] and then won the lottery the next day, I'd consider that a pretty awesome week (assuming I didn't get the HIV or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take 7 million pound to be raped in the ass by said man. It wouldn't even bother me in the slightest.