Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Jeez.....These Debates Suck

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with both these points. Characterizing the abortion issue as being gender-specific is overlooking the true meaning of Roe v. Wade. I think Ron Paul actually gets it: abortion is an issue of privacy that is best handled at the state level.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty clear the guy doesn't know the libertarian rebuttal to any of his positions, just based on the fact that he thinks empty rhetoric like 'woman hater' isn't going to get torn apart. I'd love to see if he can hold his own in a gun control debate. That's something I haven't witnessed in 2.5 years of reading this forum.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: ***Official*** CNN/YouTube GOP debate

I was surprised by the reaction to the gay question at the end. All the candidates seem to think it's a no brainer to keep the gays out of the military. Hunter was ridiculous with his Christian conservative soldier remark. And even McCain who I thought was more reasonable was against gays in the military. Could someone tell me how Ron Paul feels about this issue?

Also, I kind of agree with the poster that said it is kind of a worthless issue, but I would never support a candidate who supported such blatant discrimination.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was surprised by the reaction to the gay question at the end. All the candidates seem to think it's a no brainer to keep the gays out of the military. Hunter was ridiculous with his Christian conservative soldier remark. And even McCain who I thought was more reasonable was against gays in the military. Could someone tell me how Ron Paul feels about this issue?

Also, I kind of agree with the poster that said it is kind of a worthless issue, but I would never support a candidate who supported such blatant discrimination.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite answer to this was Romney's. Watching him squirm was delightful.

"We may...at some point...be able to look into this, but now is not the time."

"As I say.....now is just not the time to be talking about this."

"....I'd have to ask leaders of the armed services what they think, at a later time because....you know.....now is not the time."

Seriously, this guy is scared to DEATH to give his opinion on anything. Probably because the few times he has, it has been the very worst issue on which to voice his personal opinion on the subject.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TAKE AWAY THE WOMAN'S VAGINA!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul could fix that.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TAKE AWAY THE WOMAN'S VAGINA!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul could fix that.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. RP for Gynecologist-in-Chief!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some merit to the unit cohesion issue. I think the gay general asking if the candidates believed that gays could serve "professionally" in the military was valid.

An openly flaming gay "HEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY" soldier/sailor likely would impact unit cohesion and morale.

A professional soldier/sailor that happens to be gay I'm sure would be fine and 99% of folks wouldn't have an issue with it.

I just don't think the military wants the headache of having to deal with the "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY" flaming gays so they choose to keep all of them out.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
woman hating (aka pro-life) candidate

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just funny to me that you think his reason for being pro life is because he hates women. As an obstetrician I think his views on abortion carry more weight than most people including most women.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with both these points. Characterizing the abortion issue as being gender-specific is overlooking the true meaning of Roe v. Wade. I think Ron Paul actually gets it: abortion is an issue of privacy that is best handled at the state level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to lose your vote Gobbomom, but Paul doesn't view it as an issue of privacy, although that is very important and the reason he doesn't vote for these trafficking underage girls for abortion between states laws or whatever. He views it as an issue of life and a violent crime against it. It's not like the woman is able to just cut the feeding tube, she's literally killing the baby. (Sorry, the abortionist is killing the baby.)

As far as Federal laws go though, he'd like Roe v. Wade overturned and it to return to the states. There's basically nothing within his power as President though on this issue. He'll probably come down as moderately pro-choice during his tenure as he'll veto the only anti-abortion related laws that do get to his desk because they'll be ones like interstate laws for trafficking chicks going for abortions.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is some merit to the unit cohesion issue. I think the gay general asking if the candidates believed that gays could serve "professionally" in the military was valid.

An openly flaming gay "HEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY" soldier/sailor likely would impact unit cohesion and morale.

A professional soldier/sailor that happens to be gay I'm sure would be fine and 99% of folks wouldn't have an issue with it.

I just don't think the military wants the headache of having to deal with the "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY" flaming gays so they choose to keep all of them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

Would there also be merit to keeping racists out the military? How about muslims? Or just people who are generally annoying?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM

What did Mitt say that 'tanked' his chances? Something concerning the military?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not to lose your vote Gobbomom, but Paul doesn't view it as an issue of privacy, although that is very important and the reason he doesn't vote for these trafficking underage girls for abortion between states laws or whatever. He views it as an issue of life and a violent crime against it. It's not like the woman is able to just cut the feeding tube, she's literally killing the baby. (Sorry, the abortionist is killing the baby.)

As far as Federal laws go though, he'd like Roe v. Wade overturned and it to return to the states. There's basically nothing within his power as President though on this issue. He'll probably come down as moderately pro-choice during his tenure as he'll veto the only anti-abortion related laws that do get to his desk because they'll be ones like interstate laws for trafficking chicks going for abortions.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the clarification. I assumed wrongly about his opinion based on his Libertarian stances, obviously. I'll admit it makes me view him skeptically on this issue. I'm still undecided between Paul and Obama, and it's their viewpoints on individual rights that I'm using to decide my support.