Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit

Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: in over my head

youre right you are in over your head.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:53 PM

For about 1 year I employed the Guifre-HiatusOver-Nomar strategy of 3 betting from the SB against the button with anything A6o or better.

After losing enough to fund a couple days of the, ahem, "war" in Iraq, I went back to my old guideline of A9o or better.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think any of us 3 had this rule or even preferred often 3-betting Ax
Old 11-27-2007, 08:13 PM

"the reason you c/f is that even though it seems wimpy is that all the other options are much much worse."

well said.

as for 3 betting pf it would be a part of any balanced strategy to sometimes do that. maybe 30-50% of the time against an avid button raiser.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:16 PM

"he knows you must have A high to c/c flop."

no one on the button with anything there is going to think someone is c/cing the flop of KQx with ace high. it looks like a pair (pocket or flopped) or a draw of any sort. so the turn is getting bet again by almost anything from an aggressive player, and the river too often for a c/c x 3 strategy to profitable.

im not really reading through this whole thread, is anyone really advocating c/c three times??
Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 PM

dont read the whole thread, i have no idea how it is so long bc this hand is incredibly simple.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
youre right you are in over your head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but is there anything specific from my post (aside from the title) that you see as particularly wrong/naive? I know you're a good player/poster so I'd genuinely appreciate any further thoughts. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont read the whole thread, i have no idea how it is so long bc this hand is incredibly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

HM,

Can you explain why you would never c/r this flop ever? Seems like some (perhaps small) % would be part of a balanced strategy. A c/r, with a possible turn follow thru, will fold a bunch of low SCs and PPs, no? Or do you think those make up too small a portion of his range?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I find myself sitting in a 1/2 game again, feeling somewhat over-matched aside from two obvious weak spots. The villain here is a TAG, possibly a pro, and probably views me as weak. Earlier he opened on the button, I defended my BB with KTo, c/c a low paired flop, c/r T turn, bet out Q river and won the pot (he called river but did not show his hand -- but he did show his neighbor and the ensuing conversation suggested he had flopped a low pair with a K kicker).

So obviously he's raising with a wide range OTB -- but just how wide can I assume that range to be?

Anyhow we're 7 handed at the moment and he open raises on the button again, SB folds. I have A7o in the BB. Now is this a mandatory 3-bet?

I just call, and the flop is KQxr. Can I just c/f here or am I just giving away money by playing this way?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way I'm folding this in a live full ring game where I'm bored out of my mind and can pick up on physical tells. You're ahead of his range 30% of the time so you're getting decent odds. You just have to play well on the turn and river, you can't just be blindly calling down. 1/2 online vs a reg, yeah fold.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 AM

unless you just happen to have a lot of money and dont care if you lose it you shouldnt be playing 100-200 without having already developed a strong plan with significant reasoning behind it as to how and why you would play a hand like this. this sort of situation is a very common one. this is the sort of question that you should figure out in your first 6 months or so of playing low and mid limit hold em. also if youre playing 1-2 you should ideally have read a bunch of books that address this sort of issue (the 2+2 ones are the best) and will show you the sort of thinking you need to be doing in order to beat different sorts of games and opponents. so in short yes your post sounds naive.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fantastic post howmany

[/ QUOTE ]

standard