Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: I think I\'m a Donkey! final table Blunder!??

Thanks to all of you for you input, its greatly appreciated! Good luck to all of you and thanks again!!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The person who called you an idiot is clueless. You have 5 big blinds, so KQo is clearly a shove preflop in any position. In fact, your mistake in this case would likely have happened earlier when on the button, CO or HJ, where you should be shoving with any two cards when it was folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any 2? I know you have to shove pretty loose in those spots but I think I'd want to fold total trash like 72o.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:43 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OBV SARCASM his M was 4 lol derrrrrrr

[/ QUOTE ]

the old "obviously it was sarcasm" defense lol
Old 11-04-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The person who called you an idiot is clueless. You have 5 big blinds, so KQo is clearly a shove preflop in any position. In fact, your mistake in this case would likely have happened earlier when on the button, CO or HJ, where you should be shoving with any two cards when it was folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any 2? I know you have to shove pretty loose in those spots but I think I'd want to fold total trash like 72o.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're praying you don't get called, not shoving because you think you have a good hand. When you're down to 5 big blinds, you shove everything in late position once if it's folded to you.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:27 PM

Incorrect, and weak tight. OP made the right play.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 PM

Your correct to shove. A good player plays to win, not to get in the money. Just in the money is a hand full of pennys relative to the higher places. So many try to fold thier way to prosperity.

Dave
Old 11-05-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Shoving with any 2 is +EV. "Big Stack" has an M of less than 6. Thus opponents are likely to fold to his shove > 80% of the time, and when called, 72o less than a 5:2 dog to the caller's range. (72o beats AKo about 1/3 of the time)
Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 PM

You have to count on a huge amount of folding equity or a lot of dead money in order for shoving with any 2 in the CO to be correct. When there is so little difference between 9th place and 6th place, and many of the players have even shorter stacks, you will often not have that folding equity, and shoving with any 2 will often drop your M further. Indeed, one of the ways you could end up with an M of 5 is if you started with a larger stack, and kept pushing into short stacks.

Over and over, people try to ignore that playing with a short stack (here, one that is greater than the table average) is a normal part of tournament poker, not a sign of shamefully bad play. Good players should often end up with short stacks at some point, and if your goal is to win money, you should know how to play a short stack well.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM

If you cared mostly about winning the tournament, pushing was the right move.

If you wanted to move up in the money, you had an above average chip stack and with high blinds you could easily have waited out some others.