Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 04:40 PM

Default one of those things you think about when tipsy....

...You know how if you have a pair, and flop 3-of-a-kind, it's called a set.....But if you have two different cards and flop three-of-a-kind it's called trips.......

Well, how come having a pair and flopping 4-of-a-kind is called quads AND having different cards and floppping 4-of-a-kind is ALSO called quads.....?!

Shouldn't there be a different name for flopping quads without a pocket-pair, like there is for 3-of-a-kind ?
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: one of those things you think about when tipsy....

lol ur crazy.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:39 PM

I think it's really because there's only one possible way to have quads. The reason 3 of a kind has different names is because there are two different ways to have 3 of a kind. You can either have trips(1 from your hand, 2 from the board) or you can have a set(2 in your hand, 1 from the board and much more powerful, since no one else can possibly have the same 3 of a kind)
Old 11-12-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
think it's really because there's only one possible way to have quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can have quads two ways.

1) Pair in your hand and 2 on the board.

2) On in your hand and 3 on the board.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
think it's really because there's only one possible way to have quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can have quads two ways.

1) Pair in your hand and 2 on the board.

2) On in your hand and 3 on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you're the only one who can have the quads, it's different with sets/trips
Old 11-12-2006, 10:51 PM

Not everyone differentiates between a "set" and trips. I do because the play differently. I personnally think having a pair in your hand is much better and plays stronger than having only one in your hand. With only one in you hand you can easily have kicker trouble. All I really know is that I lose more money when I have trips than when I have a set. Quads is Quads, I have never lost with them and when I do someday I can only hope I have all my money in the pot and that i am playing at a bad beat table.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Not everyone differentiates between a "set" and trips. I do because the play differently. I personnally think having a pair in your hand is much better and plays stronger than having only one in your hand. With only one in you hand you can easily have kicker trouble. All I really know is that I lose more money when I have trips than when I have a set. Quads is Quads, I have never lost with them and when I do someday I can only hope I have all my money in the pot and that i am playing at a bad beat table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. And now, a hand history!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($9.43)
SB ($0.96)
BB ($3.42)
UTG ($2.03)
MP1 ($2.59)
MP2 ($5.20)
CO ($4.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $0.16</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.64</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $0.62, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.48.

Flop: ($1.97) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1.97) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: ($1.97) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $1.97

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG doesn't show.
MP2 doesn't show.
Hero has Ac Ah (four of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $1.97. </font>

This happened earlier tonight. I might have actually made some money if I hadn't been beating the crap out of the table since I sat down. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 AM

I just threw up in my mouth. Nice work preflop though.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. And now, a hand history!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($9.43)
SB ($0.96)
BB ($3.42)
UTG ($2.03)
MP1 ($2.59)
MP2 ($5.20)
CO ($4.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $0.16</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.64</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $0.62, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.48.

Flop: ($1.97) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Turn: ($1.97) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: ($1.97) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $1.97

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG doesn't show.
MP2 doesn't show.
Hero has Ac Ah (four of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $1.97. </font>

This happened earlier tonight. I might have actually made some money if I hadn't been beating the crap out of the table since I sat down. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, check behind on every street with the nuts? Shouldn't you have a book deal?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 AM

I realize now that I should have clarified the situation a bit more. Normally, I really despise slowplaying, especially when I have the goods. Under normal circumstances, I would have bet the living [censored] out of this, but at this point, a couple of the players that were involved in this hand has shown signs of an unreasonable fear of me being in a hand. I mean that two of them had in previous hands at this same table actually folded in front of me on the flop without even trying to check. I mean for god's sake, checking doesn't even cost anything. If I had not seen that earlier, I would have never even given consideration to slowplaying. I instead would have been trying to get as much of my stack into the middle as I could. This was a case where I knew that betting would have resulted in them folding.