Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 03:11 PM

Default Starting info on hand reading?

I am kind of lost on the concept of hand reading. All I ever seem to find said on the subject is "put your opponent on a range of hands, and then narrow it down as the hand progresses". While this concept seems simple enough, I have no idea what kind of hands I should initially include in an opponents range, especially when I have no notes on them. While I know that this is very much the kind of thing that varies heavily from opponent to opponent, it would at least be helpful to have some guidelines with which to start my deduction. Does anyone know of a good resource where I could get more information, or is anyone willing to post some of their know how?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Starting info on hand reading?

I am by no means a spectacular player, but there are a few things that I take into account while reading people.
1. What type of player are they- When you are in a pot with a tight player it narrows the hands down significantly, usually AJ or better and pocket pairs. However a loose player is much harder to read because they could have 4 5 offsuit or pocket aces.
Take into account their actions in unique situations- If their betting, ask yourself; What hands would they bet in this situation?
Like you said compile the information as you go and fit it together like a puzzle. How does their preflop action reflect on their postflop action. How do they fit together.
Betting Patterns- If everytime your opponent flops a huge hand he min bets make sure you remember this, these are a lot harder to find among good players.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 PM

Read some books like SS 1 and 2, Harrington's books, these will give you a guideline of what the average Joe tries to do in most hands and situations. As for more advanced players, experience really is the only thing that can help you there. You start to see patterns the more you play
Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am kind of lost on the concept of hand reading. All I ever seem to find said on the subject is "put your opponent on a range of hands, and then narrow it down as the hand progresses". While this concept seems simple enough, I have no idea what kind of hands I should initially include in an opponents range, especially when I have no notes on them. While I know that this is very much the kind of thing that varies heavily from opponent to opponent, it would at least be helpful to have some guidelines with which to start my deduction. Does anyone know of a good resource where I could get more information, or is anyone willing to post some of their know how?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the hands they show down as well as their VPIP. If playing live, you won't be able to get an exact VPIP, but you should be able gauge it roughly. If they play 80% of the hands, their range is really wide.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All I ever seem to find said on the subject is "put your opponent on a range of hands, and then narrow it down as the hand progresses".

[/ QUOTE ]

You should know four things about your opponent before you can 'read' their hands.

1. How loose

2. How tight

3. How passive

4. How aggressive

These are the basis of what defines the range of hands you can put them on with respect to position (normally). From seeing your cards and the board, you may be able to define their hand further if you compare their betting with what you know about them.

The biggest obstacle is knowing those first four things about your opponent. It is hard to classify opponents without a good knowledge base to work from but as you play you will get better.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:29 AM

Thanks to everyone answering me here. I don't feel so bad about being lost now, since it seems that my chronic note taking and table watching is on the right track (I don't hanve and can't afford PokerTracker right now). I realized how important this skill is the first night I played NL online. I had been at the table about half an hour, and realized that one of the players played any Ace, King, or Queen, and any pocket pair. After viewing him some more, I realized that he would raise with any combination of broadway cards. After that, it became really easy to take his money. From that point on, I've really wanted to get better at hand reading.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:43 AM

Now you right click on his name, or do whatever it takes to the note taking section, and write that very important information in so that the next time you see him at the table, you can take his money without relearning his style. Rinse and repeat for any actions you can identify
Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 PM

That is all you need to do. There are players you try not get involved with, some that do not matter, and of course those players you want to be in a hand with. You only need concern yourself with the last bunch. Let the better players splash around without you, the middle players are like a marginal hand, but the two or three you watch are the cash for your table.