Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 05:44 AM

Default QQ when K or A flop/ KK when A flops

How do you guys play this type of hand, its obviously awful to see a higher card when you have a big pair like that but how do you play it. I usually bet 2/3 or 3/4 the pot, and if I get raised fold. In your opinion, do you check and let your opponent be the agressor which he could easily do holding the worst hand, or take command of the hand and bet what is possibly the second best hand.
I also have a quick situation in which I'd like your opinion.
UTG raises 4x the BB to 20 I reraise to 12x the BB with QQ, after comtemplating for a while he asks how much I have and flat calls. the flop came Ace rag rag and he checked to me. At this point I had narrowed it down to AK or JJ and he checked so I figured the later. I bet 2/3 the pot and he quickly raised me all in, whoops, I fold he shows AK. Do I check there, or did I make the right play [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2006, 11:12 AM

Default Re: QQ when K or A flop/ KK when A flops

[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys play this type of hand, its obviously awful to see a higher card when you have a big pair like that but how do you play it. I usually bet 2/3 or 3/4 the pot, and if I get raised fold. In your opinion, do you check and let your opponent be the agressor which he could easily do holding the worst hand, or take command of the hand and bet what is possibly the second best hand.
I also have a quick situation in which I'd like your opinion.
UTG raises 4x the BB to 20 I reraise to 12x the BB with QQ, after comtemplating for a while he asks how much I have and flat calls. the flop came Ace rag rag and he checked to me. At this point I had narrowed it down to AK or JJ and he checked so I figured the later. I bet 2/3 the pot and he quickly raised me all in, whoops, I fold he shows AK. Do I check there, or did I make the right play [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very situatoin dependent question. However, just calling the aggressor down is rarely the right play, because by calling you get no information. Depending on how deep the stacks are, if I'm out of position, I'll sometimes even check-raise a flop like this. If he comes over the top of that, I know I'm done.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:31 PM

I think you made a good play. Obviously you just don't want to kick your Queens in so you either had to raise or get raised to see if he had the ace which he did. (Some situations might differ depending on stack sizes , position , levels , etc..) But all in all It's better to lead and being the one raised with an opportunity to fold rather then trying to chase out a better hand with raises of your own, JMHO
Old 11-12-2006, 06:49 PM

I think it's better to bet half the pot in those situations(for the most part, individual situations may change), as in most cases this will give you the same amount of information at a cheaper price
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM

With the people I play with, they will read it as weak and will raise with pocket 9s just as often as ak in that situation.