Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Fear of Communism/Fear of Terrorism?

[ QUOTE ]
Hes in prison for alleged ties to terrorism. How do you know he did not do anything of what he was found guilty of? You seem 100% sure that he was innocent, what do you build that belief on?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is very little I'm 100% sure of, and this case isn't it.

I think the best source is Frontline. It convinced me Hamid Hayat is probably a lazy bum, not a jihadist.

However, even if you accept the government case in its entirety (which I do not), you have a person who is guilty of attending a terrorist training camp. You don't have an act of terrorism. You don't have a conspiracy to commit a crime. You have an American citizen in prison for 24 years because of his political and religious affiliations. I disapprove of a lengthy prison sentence for any person who hasn't commited violence, or conspired to commit a particular violent act.

If you look into the case further, I'd welcome your thoughts.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Fear of Communism/Fear of Terrorism?

[ QUOTE ]

However, even if you accept the government case in its entirety (which I do not), you have a person who is guilty of attending a terrorist training camp. You don't have an act of terrorism.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wikipedia article you linked to : "April 25, 2006, a jury voted to convict Hamid Hayat of one count of providing material support or resources to terrorists and three counts of making false statements to the FBI in matters related to international or domestic terrorism."

So what is it? Guilty of attending terrorist camp or guilty of providing material support or resources to terrorists? And do you feel that attending islamic terrorist-training camps is something that should be legal for American citizens?