Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Fear of Communism/Fear of Terrorism?

As long as there is an outside enemy with an ideology that is clealry different than the ideology of the US isnt it inevitable that there will be lots of similarities as to how that enemy is portrayed?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as there is an outside enemy with an ideology that is clealry different than the ideology of the US isnt it inevitable that there will be lots of similarities as to how that enemy is portrayed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was more referring to the governments method of public coerrsion. Seems the build this panic and sell their own agendas to the public. But I agree, it is a tactic that will likely be recycled throughout history.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was more referring to the governments method of public coerrsion. Seems the build this panic and sell their own agendas to the public. But I agree, it is a tactic that will likely be recycled throughout history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, alternatively, terrorism and communism are just both evil pratices that kill people?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With both Soviet/Communism and todays Islamic terrorists the agenda of almost all Americans is likely to be the same as the agenda of the government. As they both posed/poses a threath to American interests, the American people and the ideology of the American people and its leaders it is pretty understandable that they are portrayed like an enemies that needs to be contained or defeated.

Its not like only the government object to these groups, most Americans would object to both Communist and Radical Islamic rule.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cold War Paradigm

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks ironman

[/ QUOTE ]

I smell a rat. You participated in the linked thread, yet you claim to not know if the topic's been discussed?

At any rate, any comparison between the two breaks down when you take into account that the Cold War was a threat from an isolated state desiring to spread what was primarily economic philosophy , vs a more amorphous threat (though probably state funded, you can't pin them down as easily) desiring to spread religious dominance.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or, alternatively, terrorism and communism are just both evil pratices that kill people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Communism isn't a practice at all, much less an "evil" one that "kills people." You're doing a great job of proving that fear supports unreason and ignorance.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At any rate, any comparison between the two breaks down when you take into account that the Cold War was a threat from an isolated state desiring to spread what was primarily economic philosophy , vs a more amorphous threat (though probably state funded, you can't pin them down as easily) desiring to spread religious dominance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fear of the Soviet Union was used to justify all kinds of aggression based on nothing, against many countries with no ties to the USSR.

And terrorism isn't a religious agenda, it's a method of achieving goals, not a goal itself. Anyone who makes use of that method is a "terrorist," so that "War Against Terror" has even less basis than the Cold War. Even if we destroyed every Islamic terrorist group in existence, terrorism would still be "out there" and unconstitutional policy would still be defended on that basis.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cold War Paradigm

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks ironman

[/ QUOTE ]

I smell a rat. You participated in the linked thread, yet you claim to not know if the topic's been discussed?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol did you look at the date? I made a comment in that thread as soon as I found it thanks to ironman and after reading the threads.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cold War Paradigm

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks ironman

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol did you look at the date? I made a comment in that thread as soon as I found it thanks to ironman and after reading the threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, no. apologies. my nose is cleared.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And terrorism isn't a religious agenda, it's a method of achieving goals, not a goal itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

"Terrorism" is a tactic, not a belief. A tactic usually employed if other, more desirable options don't exist, or have been expired.

Similarly, when the same tactic is employed on our behalf or in agreeance with our goals, it is not termed "terrorism", but often "freedom fighting", etc.