Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: help me pick a place, ill go (and trip report it)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Door County, WI.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to live in northern wisconsin, now las vegas, and have traveled tons and tons of places in america, and i can say by far and away, if you want a place to go relax, chill out and just hang, WI is def. the place to do it. Door County can be tough because there are lots of tourists all the time, but check it out anyway. or the Hayward, WI area, thousands of lakes/ cabin areas etc.

My personal pick though would be Duluth, MN. once you get north of Duluth, on the scenic hi-way on the road up to Canada, it's just a beautiful road for 100+ miles with changing leaves and nice, cool weather. there are tons of places you can just stop for a night, get a private cabin and be alone. or head down to Duluth, and eat out overlooking Lake Superior.

there's a really nice hiking spot called Gooseberry Falls just north of Duluth that's a perfect place to get some exercise w/ a nice view.

I seriously recommend checking it out, especially this time of year. be careful though, last time i was up there, i hit a wolf. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I'm talking about. This is where I grew up and whenever I go back to visit, it's completely relaxing.

Add the Apostle Islands to the list. Or maybe Isle Royale.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Minnesota on Superior is awesome!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:28 AM

a few weeks ago i watched the first half of the movie "angel's fall"

that looked to be set in a cool place somewhere in the US. you should go there.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:22 PM

My vote's on the Trapp Family Lodge... looks sweet! and it's in your state. The only thing is the drive, 6 hours in a car isn't very relaxing :\
Old 09-30-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Trapp Family Lodge.

It's a 6 hr or less drive from NYC and is in the Green Mountains of Vermont. You can climb Mt Mansfield one day and visit Burlington and Lake Champlain the next. Ben & Jerry's factory is nearby and there are several small wineries around. Magic Hat has a its brewery in Burlington and Long Trail's brewery is right of the interstate on the way there.

I gotta believe that the foliage is probably starting to change as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

hawaii sounds awesome but i think i'm more in the mood for something cooler (weather-wise) and closer... vermont and maine are the front runners right now.

this lodge looks kinda sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fall Foliage Report
Old 09-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys. I've decided on a few things:

-I'm going to wait two weeks until the 15th-ish to go. I have an improv comedy class that's wrapping up and we need to practice for our graduation show. Also, I definitely want the fall foliage to kick in.

-I don't think I really want to spend a day or so each way traveling. So Napa is out, Hawaii is out (and I want to spend more than one week in Hawaii for sure).

-Did Cape Cod back in college with an ex-gf. Definitely had the right vibe, but I want to do something that I haven't done before.

-Bar Harbor or the Trapp Lodge are the frontrunners. But despite the travel time, though, Alaska just sounds awesome...
Old 09-30-2007, 06:33 PM

if you are going to wait a few weeks, foilage should be kicking in down south as well. the ozarks in arkansas are beautiful this time of year, as are the mountains (asheville, nc is a very cool town).
Old 09-30-2007, 11:41 PM

Jay,

Go to Jackson Hole area. I, personally, would drive but I love to drive.

If Cape Cod had right vibe but you want somewhere new, maybe Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket? Those are both great and close.

- TWP
Old 09-30-2007, 11:50 PM

go fishing in Montana somewhere, it's very, very relaxing.

you can fish during the day (although i have no idea if you like fishing) relax at night (reflect, write). you can take a day off and go hiking or something along those lines.

i'm not sure how much you would like this, but i have to suggest it because its something that i find very relaxing.

also, being from minnesota, i can vouch that northern MN is very cool in the fall but probably requires more traveling than you would like.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are going to wait a few weeks, foilage should be kicking in down south as well. the ozarks in arkansas are beautiful this time of year, as are the mountains (asheville, nc is a very cool town).

[/ QUOTE ]

ozarks are very cool, def. recommend this. i would recommend Tan-Tar-A (Osage Beach, MO) or the Four Seasons.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Door County, WI.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to live in northern wisconsin, now las vegas, and have traveled tons and tons of places in america, and i can say by far and away, if you want a place to go relax, chill out and just hang, WI is def. the place to do it. Door County can be tough because there are lots of tourists all the time, but check it out anyway. or the Hayward, WI area, thousands of lakes/ cabin areas etc.

My personal pick though would be Duluth, MN. once you get north of Duluth, on the scenic hi-way on the road up to Canada, it's just a beautiful road for 100+ miles with changing leaves and nice, cool weather. there are tons of places you can just stop for a night, get a private cabin and be alone. or head down to Duluth, and eat out overlooking Lake Superior.

there's a really nice hiking spot called Gooseberry Falls just north of Duluth that's a perfect place to get some exercise w/ a nice view.

I seriously recommend checking it out, especially this time of year. be careful though, last time i was up there, i hit a wolf. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I'm talking about. This is where I grew up and whenever I go back to visit, it's completely relaxing.

Add the Apostle Islands to the list. Or maybe Isle Royale.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Minnesota on Superior is awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

Door County, WI was the first place i thought of as i read your post. and it seems that it's exactly what you are looking for, since you're giving out the maine/vermont vibe. So if you actually want to go somewhere different, and maybe see some of the US that other NYC people might never see, go to Door County. Fly to Green Bay and rent a car and drive it up. There are plenty of bed and breakfast places and it's right on lake michigan, i'm sure you could get some great reading/writing done there. it's one of those places that's real popular, but only within the people that live in the upper midwest. so i think it's just far enough away to make this a neat experience, and go somewhere beautiful that most people have never heard of.

at least surf around some of the bed n breakfast sites and check out what they have to say about the area.

Or suck it up and fly to california. monterey is ridiculous.