Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Help a Math Teacher change careers!?

Hello all, just looking for some advice on career change. I am 26 yrs. old, been a math teacher for a little over a year. I have a BA in Math and a MA in education. I want out of teaching and into finance/banking. Actuaries was my first thought, and will likely take Exam P. Just want to hear some thoughts and will answer any questions that may help. I am trying to avoid going back for my MBA as I already have one masters. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Help a Math Teacher change careers!?

Have you ever thought of being a programmer - it will suit your logical math brain.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 PM

that'll be tough. id suggest working with a headhunter or reaching out to everybody you know for contacts but the interviews to get into those types of jobs are gunna pray on your past performance (i.e. none in the industry).

i wish i could offer some better advice.

Barron
Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 PM

MBA is probably the best option cause of all the on campus recruiting. Teacher->MBA is probably rare so could work in your favor.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MBA is probably the best option cause of all the on campus recruiting. Teacher->MBA is probably rare so could work in your favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

MBA is going to be my last resort. Couple of concerns is timeline, i would be 29 assuming 2 yrs to complete MBA (maybe 30 depending on program). I realize that the avg. age of MBA grads is relatively higher than other grads but i dont want to be considered "passed my prime". I will be taking my first actuary exam in what looks like August. Been almost a decade since I took Calc 1+2 but hoepfully it wont take much time to touch up on it (I teach lower level math). Hopefully actuaries will offer me some of the same advantages as a career in finance. I see the two having a degree of similiarity. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. What about a banking position? I have applied to a few positions at a bank but so far nothing but entry level positions like teller and personal banker (very similiar to a teller). Any other positions that come to mind that I may look to that wont be entry level?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:10 AM

I'm in college so don't know about careers very much, but starting an MBA at 27 is extremely normal.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 AM

If you think that you can pass actuarial exams, then I would say to give it a try. However, you must understand that it is not the easiest profession. Very, Very few people become fellows in under 5 years. For most, it takes about 10 years. You have to be very dedicated or else you will be asking similar questions again in a few years.

I've been in the profession for almost 6 years now and I don't know if I would do it over again. The work is nice. The pay is nice. But the exams truely suck. Getting a master's degree is a breeze in comparision. I don't know you or have an assessment of how you might do, but just realize that it is not as easy as it sounds. Even if the 1st exam is easy for you -- they won't all be that way. The passing rate is only about 40% per exam and I would say that most actuarial students study more than 300 hours per exam. Are you willing to spend that much time and still have a high probability of failure? If not, then you shouldn't consider it an option.

You might also want to consider going the CFA route. Best of luck in whatever you try.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:48 AM

Getting an MBA at this point is not going to do much good because you have no work experience relevant to the field you want to work in. You don't want to try programming because it's an engineering discipline, and you'd have to take a lot of classes to get what you need. Sounds like you're on the right path.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting an MBA at this point is not going to do much good because you have no work experience relevant to the field you want to work in. You don't want to try programming because it's an engineering discipline, and you'd have to take a lot of classes to get what you need. Sounds like you're on the right path.

[/ QUOTE ]

pig4bill,

what are ur suggestions for getting "into the business" of finance? Most companies I have reviewed require either extensive experience in the field or an MBA. And when you say I am on the right track, which part are you referring to?

I managed a small restaurant for close to 6 years with a great deal of success so I would say I have some work experience in reference to an MBA. As for passing the Actuary exams, I realize the level of difficulty but am confident in my mathematical ability (I was doing Calc 1+2 when most kids were learning to plot lines [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). I was thinking of trying to get a part time job at a bank in order to get my foot in the door and from there attempt to qualify for a more moderate level position. What are your thoughts on students who take a direct track to an MBA program? Seems many students go from undergrad into grad with no work experience in-between? I will admit that I am at a crossroads when it comes to career choice. An MBA seems to be an option that will at least give me a number of possibilities. That combined with my management experience and work ethic has the potential for success. Thoughts?

Thank you all for your insight/suggestions!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:13 PM

daz,

i've been a headhunter for 20 years now - my first question is where do you live and does it matter where you live?