Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: What Books Have You Read Recently?

Oh, one more thing. For those interested in novels with biblical themes, I strongly recommend Fallen, by David Maine.

It's the story about Cain and Abel, told in reverse chronological order. Essentially, it's a "why-done-it," delving into the psychology of Cain, Abel, Adam and Eve.

Maine has also written books about Noah ("The Preservationist"), which I did not read, and Samson and Delilah ("The Book of Samson"), which I liked but not nearly as much as Fallen.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:59 PM

The Einstein Intersection by Samuel R. Delany.
Read it on the airplane. A friend highly recommended it, since I like science fiction a lot I gave it a read. Even though I like the tale of Orpheus (one of my favorite movies is Orpheus by Jean Cocteau), I didn't like this book that much. There are some great scenes in it, he gives some nice images specially when Lobey plays his machete. I also like how the author puts in a couple of entries from his writer's journal (he puts in quotes before every chapter, in some cases the quotes come from his writer's journal). I didn't like the book that much, but I'll give the author another chance, as I am planning on reading at least one more book from him.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:53 PM

A fair amount of material related to World War II:

Unit 731 by Peter Williams and David Wallace - An account of Japan's biological warfare program and how America let those responsible go free due to Cold War considerations.

Iwo Jima - Legacy of Valor by Bill D. Ross - An account of the horrific, heroic struggle for Iwo Jima.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer - The definitive account of the Nazi regime, its origins, its inner workings and its downfall. I found particularly fascinating the description of the ruthless, byzantine methods Hitler used to gain power.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:07 PM

What led you to read so much on WWII?
The books seem very interesting.

Did you see the movie Letters from Iwo Jima? Did the book change what you thought about the movie (or viceversa)?

Have you read Mein Kampf?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Highly recommended.

Plus, the following isn't a recent read for me, but if you haven't read it, it should be for you:

Old 03-28-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What led you to read so much on WWII?
The books seem very interesting.

Did you see the movie Letters from Iwo Jima? Did the book change what you thought about the movie (or viceversa)?

Have you read Mein Kampf?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have not seen the movie; perhaps I'll get to check it out on DVD. The movie didn't really prompt me to check out the book - I have been slowly working my way through understanding the land battles in the Pacific more thorough. Previously I had read about Guadalcanal, then this, and next I'll be reading up more on the campaigns in New Guinea and the British battles in Singapore/Malaysia and the China-Burna-India theatre as I find material.

Nor have I read Mein Kampf. With regard to Mein Kampf I should read it but I'm not sure I could get through it even if it does help me understand that megalomaniacal psychopath better. That being said I've read enough other history to understand the content of the book and its main themes.

I have had the first half of the 20th century as a primary area of interest for many years. I have read extensively on both world wars, particularly from a military strategy standpoint although I am working to understand more about the geopolitical aspects as time goes on.

As someone with quite libertarian leanings I find myself trying to better understand how people like Hitler and Stalin could rise to power, how an inbred network of European monarchists could manage to escalate minor squabbles into a disastrous battle royale, and how the devaluation of human life could become so prevalent.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 PM

In the last 5 days I've read Lucky Jim, Straight Man, and The Daydreaming Boy.

I would highly recommend Straight Man, marginally recommend Lucky Jim, and not recommend The Daydreaming Boy.

I think Straight Man is fairly popular, but whatever...It is about an English department chair at a university in Pennsylvania. It is a book full of humor and it has a very unique writing style. It is not unique in that it "stands out from the norm" by being different. It just is very rich with humor and the entire story ties up a lot of loose ends. I do not think I have ever come across a book with so many one-liners that made me chuckle. Of course, being that I'm in the English field and still have ambitions to teach at the university level in 5-10 years, I have a special interest.

Lucky Jim is actually the original version of Straight Man, or rather, the text which Straight Man was based off of. It is good as well, and I really really liked it. But the two books are really similar and I felt that Straight Man was better written. So if I had to recommend one, it would definitely be SM.

The Daydreaming Boy is about the Armenian genocide in the early 1900s. It is a really really intriguing concept for me. Unfortunately, the style of writing in the novel makes it incredibly hard to follow.

The story follows the current life and very jacked up memories of the main character, who was a young boy during the genocides. I was surprised to find out about this because I had ZERO knowledge of a situation that was not all that unlike the Nazi/Jews situation ~40 years later.

The book is interesting, and certainly gripping in terms of how heavy the material is. It is about punishment and ruined lives. I just could not keep a handle on the narrative aspect though. It is similar to a stream of conscience novel, except it is a SoC novel from the perspective of a genocide survivor who has been effed up in life.

Anyhow, there is an update on some stuff I read. For anyone interested in comedy and/or some exaggerated insight into the English academic world, Straight Man is something I would pick up. It is a pretty sizeable read, but it is a really funny book.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:22 AM

Currently 1/3rd way through Infinite Jest. So sick so far. So far to go.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also re-reading Robert Penn Warren's classic, All the King's Men. What a phenomenal book.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am reading this, too. What a coincidence! I can definitely see why so many pundits of the day said it was loosely based on Huey Long.

No spoilers, please, I'm about 3/4 done, but my husband already spoiled one big part of it for me, saying, "You know, it's too bad (xxx) happened in the end."

I was like WTF!?! You are sleeping on the couch for a frigging month, you bastid!

Phenomenal book, I agree. Kind of reminds me of a deep south version of some of John Steinbeck's work.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Highly recommended.

Plus, the following isn't a recent read for me, but if you haven't read it, it should be for you:

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, so i am just about to start infinite jest.

i read very very quickly. is this likely to be a summer project? is it worth it? for sure is it? because i can not start a new book until i finish the one i am on, no matter how bad or boring, so..........i am in your hands. time guesstimate on IJ and is it really worth the time commitment? i have been putting this off forever.

thanks in advance. J.