Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Tool

I just saw a post on "Tool the Greatest Band" but it was looked, so I thought of writing a post that would be Lounge worthy.

Tool is a band that is classified as progressive metal. Inspired by bands such as King Crimson, Tool experiments with music and makes albums that have a certain theme to them. They don't come out with albums often, they come out in intervals of about four years.
Their albums are:
Opiate
Undertow
Aenema
Salival (not exactly an album, they play past songs live)
Laterallus
10000 Days

I haven't heard the first two albums that much.
Aenema, Laterallus and 10000 Days are great albums. I think their greatness comes in that order.

Aenema ends with a trio of amazing songs "Push It", "Aenema" and "Third Eye". Aenema is in reference to a Bill Hicks joke about California disappearing from the world. Bill Hicks used to open for Tool sometimes with standup comedy. If you hear "Third Eye", there are some Bill Hicks jokes.

Laterallus besides being a great album has one of my favorite songs: "Reflection". "Reflection" is the middle of a series of three songs. I am not good at describing music so I won't try, but I recommend listening to that song.

10000 Days is their latest album, it came out in 2006. The title refers to the number of days the mother of the vocalist was in a wheelchair. In his other band "A Perfect Circle" in the song "Judith", the vocalist writes a song where he is mad at his mother for keeping her faith in a God that did that to her. In this album, the feeling is more of peace than of rage. The 2-part song "Wings of Marie" is wonderful.

I got to see Tool live in September and I enjoyed it a lot. They played mostly songs from their last album and some songs were marvelous to hear live. Watching the guitarist play Jambi was incredible. Also, the peace that was felt throughout the song "Wings of Marie" was memorable. Although the best part was when they played "Rosetta Stoned" since the vocalist made some very interesting things, he had a megaphone and a microphone and there were parts where he would use both at the same time. Apparently he got this idea from Mike Patton who does a lot of interesting vocal tricks.

If you haven't heard Tool but like bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson I suggest you give this band a try.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Tool

No disrespect to Tool, the other guy was a burgeoning troll. OTOH, THIS is how you start a Tool thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-23-2007, 04:33 PM

To be honest, I am relatively unfamiliar with Tool, despite the fact they are the first concert I ever went to (and I was like 17!).

I really do like their music. I think that it is unique enough for a casual listener of music to appreciate how different it is from any other mainstream stuff (at least 4 years ago). Back then, there was nothing like Tool playing on the radios that I ever took notice of. Songs like Schism and Parabol/Parabola really were songs that I loved.

However, I am not a very heavy music listener like most people my age. What I do like tends to be all over the place (Ray Charles vs. George Strait vs. Tool). So while I really like the songs of theirs I have heard (including that crazy 'song' that is just a Jacob's ladder going...I think), I have not heard just about ANY of the songs that you mentioned in your post.

Because of your finely tuned post though, I shall have to get my hands on some of the stuff I'm unfamiliar with and become an actual fan of Tool instead of a casual fan.

PS. The concert was awesome. I loved it. Soooo glad we were in the seats though and not down on the floor where there were idiots moshing and stuff. My favorite part of the concert was when someone yelled out Freebird! (standard) Mostly I just loved the idea of a Tool version of Freebird. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Schism was played a lot and it is very good. I think the reason it was played a lot is because more people could like it. If you like Tool a lot, Schism will probably be not one of your favorites. On the other hand, Parabol/Parabola is, I think, more an indication of Tool's style (at least throughout the Laterallus album).

Tool has cool covers, so maybe their version of Freebird would be cool.
Check out "No Quarter", a cover of a Led Zeppelin song. It is great.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:33 PM

I think I would have to call Aenema my favorite CD ever. When I first got it, I don't think I listened to another CD for about 2 months... which is pretty amazing as I memorize and then get tired of music relatively quickly. I still love going back and listening to it.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Hi to the lounge to begin with, as this is my first post here. My fascination for tool started 2 years ago when I was introduced to Maynard James Keenan (Tool lead singer and lyricist) side project A Pefect Circle (with James Iha, former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist), and then to Tool.
As it has already been stated, Tool view of music is different, aiming at creating an artistic experience, through visuals, lights, and obviously music and lyrics. Their bassist designs their videos, and they are worth seeing, even if a bit strange out of context.

Seeing them live must have been one of my favorite musical experiences of all times, both in Paris in June, and in Glasgow in October (thinly veiled brags there), even if I have to admit that the latter concert was superior, including my favorite song, The Pot from 10k days, and the wonderful duo Wings / 10k days.

I was going to add a selection for non fans to listen to to discover them, but you just can't pick one song or two and understand imo, so get an of their albums, 10k days being maybe a bit easier, and listen to it entirely. And listen to it again, as it's not always easy to like on the first listening.

That is all for now, sorry for the engrish, but I'm french and I'm living in England atm, so hopefully i'll be improving for my next lounge posts.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And listen to it again, as it's not always easy to like on the first listening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The first couple of times I listened to Tool, I didn't like it that much. But after a couple of times hearing them, you start realizing how amazing the music is.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 AM

I'm an old fart. Tool is the only "newer" rock band I really love. Any music I get excited over these days tends to be non-rock, because I pretty much have heard it all before. While I like quite a lot of newer rock, nothing really grabs me as being original or spectacular...except for Tool. They are astounding in every way. I saw them live a few months ago and my god - what a sound. It's thrilling when a band grabs you like that.

Anyway, nice post.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:10 AM

I like Tool alot. I have to say Undertow ranks as their best album in my eyes with its exceptionally clean alternative sound through out and crowned (in my eyes) by the incredible 'Swamp Song' with its very nice buildup throughout.

Interestingly you compare them to King Crimson, a band I know is held in high regard with many musical fans but which I have to admit has never hit a nerve with me at all. It wouldn't be the first band to strike me at all if I were to make a comparison...but I guess that is music, in what 'view' you put the sound can alter how you hear it.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:26 PM

I first heard Tool when I was the heavy metal director of my college radio station and they sent the EP. It was awesome from the start. Undertow was dreamy. We saw them on the side stage at Lollapalooza and it was one of the best sets I've ever seen from anyone. Maynard and I had a short conversation about our t-shirts. He was wearing an old KISS shirt and I was wearing a Mister Rogers shirt with the trolley. We also saw them a couple of times at the smaller venues and the shows were fantastic. Aenema was great as well but for some reason the concert didn't grip me as much. It started going downhill with Laterallus and I started losing my interest. Due to fatigue and being bored at the show I actually fell asleep during their arena tour. One of my employees lives for Tool and I've heard 10000 Days many times but the music doesn't grab me like it used to.

Oddly enough I respect the band quite a bit and agree they write fantastic songs in this age of total crap we're in now but they've lost me. The old stuff is still excellent.

I feel the same way about Korn, except Korn lost me after their first album. I feel they fell into that age old problem where the first album is 5 years in the making and totally original and then they enter the studio for the second and they stare at each other and say, "Now what?"