Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 04:33 AM

Default Re: What do you think of paying somebody for tips in sports betting?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Enrique,

Has it ever crossed your mind that you are stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean I would be stealing the picks?

[/ QUOTE ]He is implying that you're stealing by splitting the cost and sharing among friends...same principle as music sharing I guess.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Enrique,

Has it ever crossed your mind that you are stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean I would be stealing the picks?

[/ QUOTE ]He is implying that you're stealing by splitting the cost and sharing among friends...same principle as music sharing I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except in music sharing, you're getting something that has value.

99% of touts give out picks that have no value at all. They would just love it if you stole from them this way.

Every year, I see the ads for the tout lines, and I think, "I guess this isn't the year that the world wises up to this scam." I used to feel quite confident that I'd see the day that these guys would disappear. But each year, that confidence wanes a little bit more.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every year, I see the ads for the tout lines, and I think, "I guess this isn't the year that the world wises up to this scam." I used to feel quite confident that I'd see the day that these guys would disappear. But each year, that confidence wanes a little bit more.

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't happen this year after "Two For The Money" came out on cable. I couldn't get through 20 minutes of that movie.

"John Anthony has another 80% weekend!!!"
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to feel quite confident that I'd see the day that these guys would disappear. But each year, that confidence wanes a little bit more.

[/ QUOTE ]
"These guys" you refer to are total scammers, which I agree, it is surprising and depressing to see how they are able to come back year after year and keep selling the same snake oil year after year. Mind boggling in a way, but then again, each year brings more and more gullible new sports bettors to the market as well, ripe for the picking for the scammers...

But not all places you can pay are scammers. Their are businesses out there at all levels of "scamminess", and all of them are blaming the others of being scammers. The trick is to find the best quality you can for the money it costs to buy the service.

Whether you should think about going with a service or not depends a lot on how much time you have to devote to the hobby. If you have time to read a lot of stuff, watch a lot of stuff, spend a lot of time number-crunching, then go for it. Pick the games yourself according to your model or whatever and see how you can do. Chances are if you're clever and disciplined you'll come up with a way to beat the game. It's really not that hard to attain a winning percentage in these days of excellent value shopping alternatives on the internet. MUCH easier than in the old days when you had to beat 11/10 all the time - and you had only ONE brief period of time and ONE set of lines to choose from.

But, if you don't have that much time or desire to do this kind of work, but you still love to follow sports and watch what you can and have some action riding on the slate of games, then you can probably do better with a good service. But it obviously depends upon you being able to bet a big enough amount per game while staying within your bankroll to make the cost of the picks relatively small. And if you do go with a service, it's probably best to go exclusively with their picks and not do any "supplementary" picking on your own.

ps I get a lot of junk mail from these guys as I suppose we all do, and I would definitely NOT go with a place like Doc's.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW...no one is going to pick 65% correct so ignore that one guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is EXACTLY why I said "EVEN IF so and so picks 65%" knowing nobody can. So, essentially, I was saying if Doc is better than anyone out there, it would still be difficult to make $700 back (but $90 is a different story). So no, don't ignore that one guy.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
99% of touts give out picks that have no value at all. They would just love it if you stole from them this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am sure those services charge so much, because they know people will buy and share.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:32 PM

Of course this is a scam. Nobody can pick with great accuracy against the line. If these guys were that good, they would be in Vegas making money. NOT selling you there goofy picks.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course this is a scam. Nobody can pick with great accuracy against the line. If these guys were that good, they would be in Vegas making money. NOT selling you there goofy picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume they bet and make money out of their bets. I don't think selling picks makes you not bet on Vegas. I think it is for extra income.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:31 PM

There are some places who will tell you one week that the Redskins are a "5 STAR PICK" against the Cowboys...and then tell somebody else that the Cowboys are a "5 STAR PICK".

One of the customers is going to keep paying for the picks and will be very happy. The other customer will be disappointed but may still come back because so-and-so has an 80% win-rate or something.

Some guy who knows I play poker asked if I knew much about sports-betting and I admitted not much.
He then tried to get me with his 'friend' who evidently has some radio sports-picks show (probably buys the time on Saturday morning or something) and who is 70% or higher every week.

The guy telling me this believe that he actually knows a little about sports-betting and that his friend is a super-genius.
Whereas I admit to not knowing very much...except knowing that 70% is completely ridiculous.

It's amazing to me how people will convince themselves that they are really knowledgeable about sports-betting when they are actually the squarest of the squares.