Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Most overrated games ever

[ QUOTE ]
What about the AI on halo was good? If I recall, basically all that happened is you would go into some area, cross over an invisible "trigger line" and a bunch of enemies would spawn around the corner. If you were fast enough you could actually see them warp into existence. Repeat... repeat... repeat... Any game that spawns enemies over and over like that gets a huge demerit from me. I always thought that aspect of Halo could have been a little more seamless. Halo 2 improved on it a little bit IIRC.

Halo was ok but there was nothing really that hadn't been done before on the PC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you're issue with spawning is. Every single game does it, or you wouldn't have anything to fight. There are no infinite spawns in Halo if that's what you mean?

What was good/fun about the AI is that it didn't cheat. It's not like you'd get within 'x' meters within some 360 degree field of view and they'd charge you. The AI could be 'outsmarted' or tricked which made the combat alot more fun. It's even possible to beat the game on legendary using nothing but mellee which I think is pretty cool.

You miss out on alot of this if you play it on the low difficulties, but on legendary it becomes more and more necessary to actually play against the AI. It makes the game feel very dynamic and 'alive'.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:20 PM

Wow, people are really buggin over halo, a crime has gone unpunished...

[ QUOTE ]
Deus Ex
Conspiracy theories nonsense fux intellectual tripe of a story. A week excuse for a FPS and not enough genuine role play to rescue it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make 3 points, all of which are erroneous (you may hold judgment to be relative, but here, you are simply wrong)

1. The story is non-sense/fux-intellectual.

Firstly, the story is very coherent, incredibly dense, which is done masterfully through newspapers etc. found in game allowing a player to essentially determine his own level of connection with the plot. Also, choices you make in game affect the outcome of the story, both within it and particularly at its conclusion, which is awesome. As for the claim that it is pseudo-intellectual, you require two things for this to be a true claim, that the game presents itself as intellectually deep, and that it in fact is not so. I suppose the first part is true, but not over abundantly, the game deals with some heavy themes, but never seems pretentious about it. So does it live up to its veneer of intelligence? [censored] yes, you [censored]. Actual, interesting, surprising story lines in an FPS? Almost unheard of before Deus Ex.

2. It fails as an FPS.

It in no way fails as an FPS, every single style of FPS play can be used to tackle the game, whether you enjoy close range, gun slinging, explosives, sniping, whether you like to run'n'gun or take them down silently, you can progress through the game with your own style. It is not an FPS like Quake or Halo, in fact: IT IS NOT AN FPS. The game is far to complex and inventive for your lame little label. You can beat the game without killing anyone, that alone should disqualify it from being an FPS.

3. It fails as an RPG. (not enough genuine role-play)

First of all role-play is determined 100% by the role player, if you really wanted to role play you could do so in any freaking game. I assume what you are thinking of is character development, progression etc. I have two ways I could go here, either to show you how you are wrong or to show you how you are measuring the game by a completely inane and inappropriate standard. Skill progression is quite simple, but this belies how strongly your character is defined by it and how vital skills are to enabling you to tackle different situations. Consider biomods as well and you have a hell of a lot of customization. I have never replayed a single player shooter more than once, except for Deus Ex, largely because playing as a different type of character has a profound impact of gameplay, and even lead me to discover new areas (didn't h4x0rs or swim much the first time) But considering Deus Ex against other RPS is ridiculous (besides only Fallout compares [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Overall the OP's post sucks because he compared FF7s graphix to modern day games as a reason for FF7s suckage, how much more of a n00b can you be?

The sims is not over-rated. No one really raves about it, it just got bought a lot.

Overrated games:

Sequels people love that don't innovate: Doom 3, GTA:SA, annual sports series (NHL 94 anyone?), Quake 3

Perfect Dark, whenever people mention this as better than Goldeneye I cringe.

Mortal Kombat.

To the people saying Halo was the first real console shooter:

Old 07-08-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even though I've never played it and never will, I am sure that World of Warcaft belongs in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

i played WoW for maybe 3 or 4 months and i think it's overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

A game revolutionizes a genre, making it accessible to millions (literally) where the sum audience was thought to be 500,000. It receives pretty good reviews, but is constantly ragged on for being a grind or a lame-brained addiction. WoW seems very fairly rated. It is the best MMO out there, except possibly EVE, though that distinction probably depends on what level of gamer-intensity you find yourself at.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you're issue with spawning is. Every single game does it, or you wouldn't have anything to fight. There are no infinite spawns in Halo if that's what you mean?

What was good/fun about the AI is that it didn't cheat. It's not like you'd get within 'x' meters within some 360 degree field of view and they'd charge you. The AI could be 'outsmarted' or tricked which made the combat alot more fun. It's even possible to beat the game on legendary using nothing but mellee which I think is pretty cool.

You miss out on alot of this if you play it on the low difficulties, but on legendary it becomes more and more necessary to actually play against the AI. It makes the game feel very dynamic and 'alive'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all games spawn enemies like that

My main issue with the spawning is that you notice it. Like you're walking through some area and if you stop at X you could wait there forever but if you take one more step then stuff spawns. That just bugs me. Or you arrive at some site that is obviously going to be a fight zone... then comes 3 or 4 waves of enemies. How many times do you walk into a room where all the doors suddenly lock and will not open until you kill the last enemy?

I guess I'm talking more about the mechanics of how you meet enemies than the actual AI once they're spawned.

There are alot of games that don't do that or else they seamlessly work it in so you aren't as aware of it. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., HL2, System Shock 2, Thief I/II/Deadly Shadows, Delta Force I/II/III/Extreme, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Operation Flashpoint

BTW - the storyline of Halo was awesome.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even though I've never played it and never will, I am sure that World of Warcaft belongs in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come from a game like EQ and you KNOW it's overrated.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A game revolutionizes a genre, making it accessible to millions (literally) where the sum audience was thought to be 500,000. It receives pretty good reviews, but is constantly ragged on for being a grind or a lame-brained addiction. WoW seems very fairly rated. It is the best MMO out there, except possibly EVE, though that distinction probably depends on what level of gamer-intensity you find yourself at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fairly raided for ease of getting into and soloing. Not for high-end raiding.

Part of that is a function of the game's age, to be fair. It takes a long time to develop a substantial amount of raiding options, and it's hard to keep very high-level challenges adequate, as the game's top players burn through high level content at an incredible pace.

Still, if you were coming over from a game(if there really was much of one anymore) that had high-end raiding content like EQ, WoW's high-level raiding would look ridiculously marginal by comparison.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come from a game like EQ and you KNOW it's overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played Lineage II on release and preferred L2 over WoW. I liked the PvP system a lot better, but it seems to be a preference thing.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all games spawn enemies like that

My main issue with the spawning is that you notice it. Like you're walking through some area and if you stop at X you could wait there forever but if you take one more step then stuff spawns. That just bugs me. Or you arrive at some site that is obviously going to be a fight zone... then comes 3 or 4 waves of enemies. How many times do you walk into a room where all the doors suddenly lock and will not open until you kill the last enemy?

I guess I'm talking more about the mechanics of how you meet enemies than the actual AI once they're spawned.

There are alot of games that don't do that or else they seamlessly work it in so you aren't as aware of it. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., HL2, System Shock 2, Thief I/II/Deadly Shadows, Delta Force I/II/III/Extreme, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Operation Flashpoint

BTW - the storyline of Halo was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I completely agree there. Annoying as hell cleaning out a room, walking along all safe and then suddenly having your entire radar turn red. I just like the AI once they are spawned! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 11:14 PM

All Zelda 3d games. Once it stepped outside 2d it lost its magic to me. To me this is like the 3d creations of Street Fighter 2. Just no... bad.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 AM

GTA SA, deus ex, and halo should never ever ever be mentioned in this discussion.

gta sa is just a great game start to finish... the voice acting and different settings are mindblowing. if you cant see that you are really ignorant.

deus ex had a great gameplay system with a great story/exploration element that you cant find in many other games and was really really impressive for when it was created. Personally I enjoyed playing this game more than almost any other.

halo, i will give you that many of the single player levels got repetitive (especially the flood levels... the game designers definitely made a mistake there). however its multiplayer was the best in any game of its type since goldeneye. in this respect it is pretty much goldeneye's successor.