Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: What languages do you speak? read? write?

All,

This will be more interesting if you explain how/why you know these languages.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:32 PM

English: Native language
Spanish: Three years of high school classes, can speak, read and write some but far from fluent
French: One semester of community college, can speak read and write some but far from fluent
Finnish: From some books and audio learning programs, can speak and read a little

Living in SoCal gives my Spanish some practice, and regular business trips to Europe do the same for French and Finnish.

I'd like to learn Italian and German and then I'd be done except for attempting to increase fluency.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

This will be more interesting if you explain how/why you know these languages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, probably it would be good to know where are you from or where have you lived?

BTW, I'm a native from Mexico, living in the States for many years now.
I have always had a problem with speaking English, since I consider it pretty illogical (with respect to Spanish).
Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
English: Native language
Spanish: Three years of high school classes, can speak, read and write some but far from fluent
French: One semester of community college, can speak read and write some but far from fluent
Finnish: From some books and audio learning programs, can speak and read a little

Living in SoCal gives my Spanish some practice, and regular business trips to Europe do the same for French and Finnish.

I'd like to learn Italian and German and then I'd be done except for attempting to increase fluency.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would consider this not knowing anything but English. You might be able to say you are a Spanish beginner unless you were some super high school student that learned a ton and practiced a lot.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:01 PM

I'm a native English speaker. I've lived in Argentina for 8 months now and have studied Spanish for somewhere around 200-250 hours with a private teacher in that time. Also 4 years in school.

I can read Spanish at a very good level, only caught up by new words I haven't encountered yet (maybe 3-5 per newspaper article or similar). I read my daily news in Spanish as often as possible.

I can write Spanish at a good level but not nearly as good as I can read. I can speak at a good level that is far from fluent but allows me to take care of my daily business in Spanish and hold decent conversations in Spanish as long as they don't stray into too complex of topics.

I can read and understand Danish at a beginner level. I can speak like a child who has a small vocabulary. Lived in Sweden for 6 months or so with a Danish girlfriend and some Danish friends.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:03 PM

speaking italian but not being able to read italian is an absolutely insane idea to me. basically everything is spelled as it is pronounced and vice-versa.. in other words there are rules and every word adheres to them. nothing like the english through, rough, cough etc.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 PM

sirio,

English - fluent

various Hindi dialects - fluent speaker, can't read or write (family is Indian)

Norwegian - lived there for 5th-7th grades, was totally fluent, but don't get to practice much now. I'm sure I could become fluent within a month or two. Can understand other Scandinavian languages based on that.

Spanish - could read/write fluently, and was conversational in speech. Takes me a few days in Mexico/Spain to get back up to speed.

Italian - am able to communicate in Italian, but can't hold a natural flowing conversation. If I try that, half of it becomes me speaking Spanish with an Italian accent.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 PM

i am learning Vietnamese now. depending on whether you are talking to an older man, an older woman, a younger woman, or a younger man, you have to change the word for 'you'. i am hoping that there is actually a word for 'you' and they just want me to learn this way first. When memorizing words, i have found myself associating the Vietnamese word with a Thai word instead of an English word. my difficulty right now is that I keep mixing Thai words with the Vietnamese.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 PM

Swedish(native): fluent

English: fluent - read it since 4th grade in school and also watching alot of TV and of course the internet.

Danish and Norwegian: can understand it in writing and speech like most Swedish people.

German: can get by in germany. - read it in school but I was a filthy slacker back then so most didn't stick with me

oh El D so you and spicyf talking in Swedish then ;D god old frank, I wonder what he's up to these days, haven't spoken to him in a while.

Yay my 1000 post is how poor I am at languages.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM

English(native) - fluent

French - I could easily survive in any francophone country thanks to ~6 years of schooling . I can speak pretty well, read very well and write pretty well too. Obviously I don't know all of the grammar or vocabulary, but I can get by just fine. I'm starting to do some more stuff with it though so that I can get to being as close to fluent as possible

Spanish - I speak very little and can't write, but can understand a surprising amount of it, similar to sirio's Italian story, but I'm definitely not conversational. I do want to learn this language next though.