Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 08:05 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default But he limped on the button!

Folded around to Wynn regular who limps on the button, I raise in the small blind with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] big blind folds, villian calls.

Read: Villian moved here to try to be a professional poker player, he'd worked as a dealer in his last location. I don't think he succeeded here since he sucks at poker and I don't see him around much. He generally thinks everyone else is awful and he is super good. He plays tight but not too great postflop. He can't laydown an ok hand even if it's obvious he's beat. He doesn't use any of the extra available information from live poker. In general I think the way he plays is he considers his hand strength and what he generally thinks of his opponent but doesn't give a lot of thought to what his opponent might be holding. In one of Mason's books he talks about a kind of player that plays a non self-weighting strategy and is generally loses fastest of anyone. Villian plays tighter then that strategy generally but otherwise approximates it well.

He thinks I'm a complete donkey and it shows when we play hands together. He doesn't adjust to me preflop but postflop he very frequently goes off making bad raises, bluffs, calldowns, the works, and he generaly makes them at all the wrong times.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet, he raises, I 3bet, he calls.

I just felt like a) he would raise an ace on the button, and b) while he might have a J (and if he does raising isn't that bad anyway) he's likely just getting out of line

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet, he pauses, glares at me, and calls.

His look changed the whole hand for me. From where I sat it was the look of a man who now 'has to pay off' and very likely with a better hand then mine.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check planning to most likely fold.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Re: But he limped on the button!

This really seems like a feel-based, had-to-be-there hand. I don't know if we can offer the kind of strategy advice you're looking for, since you know best what the read was at the time.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:54 PM

Great description on the player. Good cautionary tale, for those of us (like me) who are fearful of slipping into that style.

Since you're likely to have a predisposition to pushing him around he may be limping the button to keep the pot small in the anticipation that you (or maybe a BB who plays like you) pop it with anything playable. He could easily have something like Axo or even AJ here. He doesn't want to go to war preflop nor does he want to fold. I think Sklansky advised to limp the button in cases like this in HEFAP.

Of course he could also have limped a big hand (lke KK) hoping to pop you on the turn and then the ace wrecked his play.

In general, if a tight player who can be credited for some strategic thinking is going to limp the button, I'd be wary of getting too aggressive until shown that it means legit weakness and a semi-trash hand (like a small gapped connector).

Just out of curiosity, where you looking at him when the Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turned and how did that read differ from the look you got after you bet?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:14 PM

doesnt he have to pay off with q10, kq, jt, and even worse jacks?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:08 AM

Default Re:Victor

I don't believe that I would pay off with these hands after my opponent raised pre-flop & then 3-bet the flop.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe that I would pay off with these hands after my opponent raised pre-flop & then 3-bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
[/round of applause]
Old 11-29-2006, 12:34 AM

Goofball,

I vaguely recall a time when people thought it was "deceptive" to openlimp on the button with A-rag.

Normally I'd say you have to bet the river, but against this type I actually like the river c/f. He's almost never betting a hand that you beat and Ax makes a huge part of his range.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:35 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Victor,

He definitely would pay off with those, if I thought he had them. If I'm going to checkcall a bet on the river then betting myself is way way better. If I check he's basically betting hands I lose to and checking hands I beat. If I bet he'll call with basically everyhand he's taken this far.

Checkfold and bet are both way better then checkcall on the river here.

Benwood,
Would you have even gotten to the river with those hands?

jfk,

I agree that many semi-educated players can slip into this mode of thinking. I could elaborate further, but one thinig I notice in myself when I start to slip there is a sense of entitlement. "I'm playing good cards so when I raise with AK I'm entitled to the pot"

I wasn't looking at him when I bet the turn unfortunetly, although I don't think it would have mattered.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:46 AM

Default Re:Goofball

"Would you have gotten to the river with those hands?"

No.But I'm a wimp.LOL.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:51 AM

i really like your river thoughts.