Default Re: Foods where quality makes a HUGE difference

[ QUOTE ]
sushi obv

[/ QUOTE ]

for real.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Just expanding on a few points already made:

IMO, there isn't a huge difference between a USDA choice filet minon and a cheaper sirloin. Sure, one may be more tender than the other, but the main difference is how it's prepared. I typically buy a $5 steak at the grocery store, and it often tastes just as good as a more expensive cut.

In general, the generic brands of most cookies/crackers tend to taste pretty crappy and aren't worth the 50 cent savings.

The taste of a high quality and expensive cheese is much better than cheaper alternatives, and it's not close.

The quality of fruit tends to be much more important than the quality of vegetables.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Burgers & sausages..

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. While there is a difference in quality between McDonalds and some high end burger it is not that great. It's still ground beef with random stuff on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be joking.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:00 PM

Beer

also, I prefer cheap bacon to expensive bacon. Fat is tasty.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fugu

[/ QUOTE ]

FTW.

Tingle >>>>>>>>>> dead

Dunno if I'd have the balls to try it though.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I differentiate the "huge" difference by whether I would eat it or not. I dont really thing veggies/steak/etc is that big of a deal. If an apple is picked right of the tree, yes, thats awesome and better than an apple from the store, but Im still going to eat both, and have them taste pretty much the same. Same with steaks, etc, a usda prime aged steak, is great, but Im still going to eat a plain old sirloin just as well. Things I will not eat, unless purchased from a specialty store: sausages (Ive never/never will eat a normal grocery store peice of salsissa/brat/etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I don't think stuff in the supermarkets tastes anywhere near as good as the fresh stuff, guids. Everything in the supermarket starts to merge into the flavor of a potato - oranges, apples, papayas, even strawberries, which are often flavorless in supermarkets. Sugars really do turn into starches, on the one hand, and on the other, fruits and vegetables are usually picked far too early for their flavors to develop and to get enough sugar into them.

Fruits are a very clear example of freshness making the difference. I remember that on rare visits to the states when I was growing up on Guam, we were astounded at how different the fruit tasted from roadside stands as opposed to the oldest stuff in the world, which was the stuff shipped to Guam. It was like friggin' candy over here! I still notice the difference hugely to this day. Supermarket fruit is often very dull. Sometimes I just throw it away because it tastes like nothing.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll admit I have never had a premium quality sausage. Only the stuff you can buy from a local grocery store. I assumed it was all the same. Maybe I should check that out this summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold cuts too. I was stunned when I first ate bologna from a German butcher -- it was very good! I had gotten used to the Oscar Meyer type stuff, which is lousy. Finding a good butcher who makes his own sausages and cold cuts is well worth doing. The shop-made stuff is so much better.

I agree with the other poster that we're talking not so much about freshness anymore though; this is more about premium or home-made style vs. mass market.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Ice Cream is a really good one I think for this
Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, as long as you arent purposly looking for crappy steak, I feel the difference between medium quality and high quality steak is pretty small. The big factor for me is whether or not its marinated/cooked well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever had a premium quality steak? The difference between that and a $15 steak is enormous.

[/ QUOTE ]
You won't notice much of a difference in quality when you drown it in marinade or any other type of sauce.
That's a sin people should get flogged in public for.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Every Thursday night, round at my place.