Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 10:03 PM

Default OESD played fast

Live 15-30 7 handed. My play was cause for some mumbles and shaking of the heads after the hand. What do you think?

Limped 5 way pot. I'm the SB with J9o. My image is tight but I've been raising a good amount when I'm in.

Flop QT2r. I ch, dumb BB bets, semi-dumb CO calls, button raises. Button is table coach type who knows all the odds and plays, etc, but is a losing player and doesn't know why. I 3 bet, all call.

Turn T. I bet, all call.

River 8. I bet, dumb BB and button call.

Comments?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Re: OESD played fast

Well I guess the only question is whether you should bet the flop. Other than that pretty standard.

I'm sure you got the old "raising on the come" speech.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:50 PM

Bn asked me how I could bet the turn. I said how could I not.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop QT2r. I ch, dumb BB bets, semi-dumb CO calls, button raises. I 3 bet, all call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Far too cute. You may or may not blow as many as two players off their hands when you're drawing. One of these guys paid you off on the river. Why take the chance of losing him here, or worse, losing him and getting capped by a bettor who has position on you and may continue to make you pay for that draw. The major benefit would be in driving out someone holding AJ, other than that bringing the riders along is preferable.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Far too cute. You may or may not blow as many as two players off their hands when you're drawing. One of these guys paid you off on the river. Why take the chance of losing him here, or worse, losing him and getting capped by a bettor who has position on you and may continue to make you pay for that draw. The major benefit would be in driving out someone holding AJ, other than that bringing the riders along is preferable

[/ QUOTE ]

Suggestions for a better line?
Old 11-25-2006, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Far too cute. You may or may not blow as many as two players off their hands when you're drawing. One of these guys paid you off on the river. Why take the chance of losing him here, or worse, losing him and getting capped by a bettor who has position on you and may continue to make you pay for that draw. The major benefit would be in driving out someone holding AJ, other than that bringing the riders along is preferable

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just call the flop. Call the turn and donk the river. It's not pretty but I think it's better then trying to get these guys out. And I don't really think you can make the case that the flop+turn bet is for value.

Betting the flop also good sometimes, but it's impossible to tell without better reads. You'd like them to be loose/passive basically. Especially the two in the middle. It's no great disaster if you bet out and get two calls and BT raises. Then you can just call and keep them all in. I'd be checking the turn IU in any case and calling any best coming back.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just call the flop. Call the turn and donk the river. It's not pretty but I think it's better then trying to get these guys out. And I don't really think you can make the case that the flop+turn bet is for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bn is predictable/transparent and I put him on a T, which he had. Judging by BB's river call he had a Q and Co, who knows?

I 3 bet to get the BB and CO out if they had a weak Q, the same hand or a better J. Or if the Bn had the same hand or a weak T because if it got h/u, I was betting it out.

My J was a good out with the Bn on the flop, which I hoped it would be. When the BB and CO called I knew it wasn't. I'd play 2P or a set the same way - lead/3 bet or c/r.

I'd expect Bn to raise the flop here with many marginal hands he likes, so I'm leading or c/r before coldcalling and I think it's best.

Having the T come off on the turn makes my hand easier to play with the lead. It's bet/call the turn and fold river UI. If I ch turn as he said I should've, and it goes bet/raise, now I'm looking at 2 cold again. Calling station mode is something I'm looking to avoid.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leading the flop is fine. With the button raising, that's when I wold've slowed.

After the button raise, I'd have checked/called the turn and led the river once my hand hit.

Yes, this is a very obvious way to play it, but overcallers are your friends here and you're insulating yourself from harm in case someone has filled their boat or decides to get out of line with AT.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:11 AM

i play it the same usually. sometimes i lead the flop but whatever. nice hand.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:47 AM

SA125,

I think you should just play your draw like a draw here. The hand's going to showdown and your out of position so I don't see the purpose or value in the aggression in this case. They'll still pay you off on the river if you check the turn.

Chief