Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Re: quick question about christianity

[ QUOTE ]
Short answer: his Ego before man.

What did Jesus sacrifice? As we've seen, many will debate there was much of any sacrifice since Jesus is God. Et cetera, et cetera.

Suppose God did send his son, one with himself, down to Earth for the benefit of his human creation. This man felt what regular men feel. Pain, rightious anger, frustration, even doubts..."Father, please let this cup pass from me.." He has a common theme and lives and dies by it. He does not stop his accusers. He turns the other cheek. He, son of God, allows himself to be humiliated before man. His apostle Judas turns him in: he knows it and allows it to happen. Peter denies him. Jesus knows it and allows it to happen. Thomas doubts. A sacrifice? Or a lesson for behaviour?

All just meaningless in the context of infinity, all-knowingness, all-powerfullness? Seems like it, using the our rational minds.

So what else did he sacrifice? His ego before man. In hopes we would learn from it.

That's my take. And I'm not a Christian nor religious. At least in the religions of mankind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post. You seem familiar with Jung, yes?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Nice post. You seem familiar with Jung, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

How could any one forget his most enlightening dream!

That being said, Jung, of course, split from Freud and Jung's argument was precisely his weakness and the manifestation of his reticence to accept the facts, and his limitations, mostly religious or cultural. Namely Jung's theoretical view was teleological, whereas Freud, and probably the same theory better framed/defined later by Lacan, having done away with the artificial position of Freud himself in his followers understanding, was not.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:14 AM

Well both Jung's and Freud's problems are circular logic and extreme lack of scientific validity. If anything they and their heirs have held the field of psychology back enormously.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

(Option three: "half" of eternity is meaningful (and understandable) to God, but we can't understand it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand it. Jesus spends half his time in hell, and half in heaven. He can alternate hours, years, etc. As long as he switches back and forth ad infinitum, he can spend half an eternity in each no problem.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(Option three: "half" of eternity is meaningful (and understandable) to God, but we can't understand it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand it. Jesus spends half his time in hell, and half in heaven. He can alternate hours, years, etc. As long as he switches back and forth ad infinitum, he can spend half an eternity in each no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right - I said this in my post edit
In general, I can't really understand "half of an eternity."
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well both Jung's and Freud's problems are circular logic and extreme lack of scientific validity. If anything they and their heirs have held the field of psychology back enormously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't doubt it...Jung still had some provocative (if practically useless) thoughts however.