Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: RYANCMU teaches struggling NL50 and NL100 players

A general question, not related specifically to ssnl. When you make a change in your game, such amping up aggression or adding more hands how many hands did it take before you feel comfortable postflop with your game?

Edit: Thanks for the thread. Soo much good stuff.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A general question, not related specifically to ssnl. When you make a change in your game, such amping up aggression or adding more hands how many hands did it take before you feel comfortable postflop with your game?

Edit: Thanks for the thread. Soo much good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think of it as if your making a huge change to your game and your suddenly "ramping up the aggression." That should be happening, because it implies that we are mindlessly just becoming more aggressive.

You don't just make changes to your game and start doing them, you learn something new and then apply it in situations where its applicable.

So many people just are like "I heard to be more aggressive" and they jump into games and just start spewing.

When you are making changes to your game you need to be confident why you are making these changes and know when its correct to implement them.

When I first learn a new concept or when I am experimenting w/ something. I will often cut down on my tables significantly and really look hard for situations where I can use what I am just learned or a spot where what I am experimenting w/ fits. By really putting forth the effort to reason out why we are making these changes to our game and then paying attention and recognizing the situations, you will become comfortable and acclimated to whatever you are integrating into your game very quickly.

Like for example, lets say you wanted to start 3betting lighter PF in pos vs other regulars. Some peoples thinking of how to apply this would be to slowly start widening your range and get comfortable. Start w/ like A9s then move gradually towards the more extremes ends of your light range as your grew comfortable in those situations. Thats fine for some people and I guess it works, however, its not what I do.

If I am integrating a concept into my play or chancing up something, I'm doing so because I have a real reason too not just because I was told to do so. So because I already know why I am making these changes, I don't need to ease my way into being comfortable, since I will always be able to defend my plays w/ sound reasoning, it becomes easy to just kind of jump right in so to speak.

If you understand why you are making changes to your game, I mean truly understand, its very easy to just effortlessly meld them into your game.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:30 PM

great post, Ryan. I was writing something similar in spanish (but much shorter) for people changing from NL50 to NL100, and about the stats and winnings ratios also. I would like to know if i can summarize and translate your thoughts for completing the article. Thanks for sharing it. By the way, nick in PS? The search in this forum is not very good and I'd prefer to avoid you (or sitting for learning) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]