Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Default smart baseball fans analyze these trades.

So I am in a very serious scoresheet league that keeps 8 major leaguers and 3 minor leaguers every year. You can keep minor leaguers in place of major leaguers if you want. In the draft each year, each team can lose up to 8 guys and after every 2 guys you lose you can 'pull back' another guy. I am an expansion team, and have absolutely no hope of doing anything this year since I am very very very young. That said, I've been offered the following trades:

Buehrle for Fernando Martinez

Anthony Reyes for Chris Iannetta.

My thinking is that I should take both of these, because Buehrle is unlikely to help me a lot down the road and what he does this year is basically irrelevant since I have no hope of competing. I have Lincecum, Gallardo, Clay Buchholz, Clayton Kershaw, and a few lesser known minor league pitchers that should fill in nicely when they come up. Martinez could be something super special, or he could blaze out, but I think realistically I can't really compete for 3 years when it's very unliekly that buehrle will be able to contribute to a championship level team.

As far as Iannetta and Reyes, both project to be the types of players that could contribute on very good teams. Iannetta's value is increased because Scoresheet does not make park adjustments when simulating games. For those that don't know, scoresheet is not a categories league. It simulates games based on real baseball stats like OBP, SLG, etc based on how your team did that week. A catcher who can get 860-900 ops is HUGE in a league like this - much more so than in real life baseball when you adjust for park factors. Reyes still projects to be a very valuable starter, but I think I should take the risk here. What do you guys think?

James