Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Most reliable source for baseball prospects

Hi, I just entered a very competitive fantasy league through www.scoresheet.com. This site simulates games based loosely on sabermetric player values(so rbi, runs, wins etc are meaningless). There are 2 expansion teams entering the league, mine, and another. Every single decent player is already taken, and each team protects 8 major leaguers and 3 minor leaguers. I think I am just going to load up on prospects since I have literally no chance of winning anyway - and I have been looking through BP's articles(kevin goldstein's suggestions, and nate's 2006 pecota projections), and noticed they differ greatly from baseballamerica's projections. Even Nate's projections differ greatly from Goldstein's - so which projections do you sabermetric types consider the most reliable? Consider also that the ones I'm using from nate are a year old at this point.

James
Old 01-14-2007, 08:33 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything
Default Re: Most reliable source for baseball prospects

i'm not quite sure on the best source, but if you want overly optimistic projections for guys who were in AAA last year, look no further than the bill james handbook.

i think forecaster, BP, and firstinning.com all have their merits, but i mainly use them for top 50 types, not the bottom-feeders you'll likely need to look for. my best piece of advice is to target power-speed guys, although the good ones (c young, d young, upton) are already taken.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Baseball America rates more on tools while BP works from more of a statistical base. John Sickels site is a good balance and my personal favorite. Here is another link to a usefull site.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 AM

Thanks all. There are a few decent guys here and there, but I'll def be building from the ground up.

James