Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-19-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Preparing for big live tourney - books on tells, etc?

I am going to play the Carribean poker classic in late November, 6300$ buyin.The biggest tourney (live or online) i played so far was 1500$ WSOP NL event and i felt like i could have come more prepared.

So, now, since i have more time till the event i figured i'd catch up on my reading/DVDs...What are the best ways to prepare for a tourney?
Are those Caro and Navarro tells books help? (I rarely play live).
What tells DVDs to you recommend?
Caro?
Duke's "How to beat the big boys"?
Anything else i am not aware of?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Preparing for big live tourney - books on tells, etc?

I own two books

Mike Caro's: I find it a little outdated, discussing things relevant to draw poker, smoking at the table etc... A lot of the concepts are still valid though

Read em and Reap: I found this book to be superior to Mike Caro's. It goes through each body part from most important (feet) to least (face). I have found this book invaluable in my development as a live player. My vote goes for this one.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 AM

I've read Caro's and found it a little out of date.
I did hear great stuff about Navarro's
Old 10-19-2007, 08:49 AM

I prefer Navarro as well, I've found that the information there is consistently and reliably applicable.

The feet tell is freaking gold btw - the single most consistent tell I've been picking up.

Note on tells: you won't see them often - maybe a couple times per hour you'll be in a hand and pick something up. That's enough in my book. One well timed raise/fold decision can make or break a tournament.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:31 AM

What's the "feet" tell? (Can't find the book at local bookstore.)
Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 AM

basically they are the most reliable part of your body...talks about how positioning (where they point) gives away alot of information. The big problem with it, you can't always see em!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:04 AM

I have a bit of a background in sports psychology (came close to becoming a professional hockey player). This advice might apply here and I do apply it myself to my own poker playing.

In high level sports, or any similar endeavour, we prepare through training and practice. We want our game to be second nature when the real event takes place. One of the things that has thrown off many a team and individual is to try to incorporate new plays/tactics, etc. too soon.

We all know that to improve our game we need to elevate it. And to do that we need to either become more proficient at what we currently do or add new components.

To keep this short, my advice would be to try not to introduce too many new components to your game, especially if you haven't had a sufficient period of time to work them in seamlessly. New moves may require concious thoughts which can detract from the subconsious which should be running in the background.

Of course this is entirely personal, but if I were in your place I would concentrate more on refining what I know now and being as sharp as possible for the day the tourney starts. I think that's an equally valid method for elevating your game compared to adding new dimensions.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
basically they are the most reliable part of your body...talks about how positioning (where they point) gives away alot of information. The big problem with it, you can't always see em!

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you EVER see someone's feet??
Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 AM

you don't have to see there feet... if their feet are moving up and down "happy feet" you will see the movement in their shirt... look like underneath the shoulder blade and if their feet are moving up and down you'll be able to tell.. I have found this one to be very reliable.. having read both books I would recommend this one over Caro's book of tells which I also found outdated and some of the tells mentioned in there are known even by some of the weaker players
Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you EVER see someone's feet??

[/ QUOTE ]

when they are sitting next to you.