Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel

Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Things to do and see in Memphis?

What are some fun things to see and do in Memphis. I am planning a trip to Tunica in a few weeks and may stay a night or two in Memphis. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Things to do and see in Memphis?

Jim, If you could be a little more specific.

I've lived in Memphis since 1980 (except for 6 years in USAF) and should be able to answer most of your questions.

The popular food when visiting is BBQ. The 2 most popular places are Corky's and Rendevous. The Rendevous is downtown and Corky's is more east Memphis (there's actually 3 Corky's).

The downtown area is getting nicer every day. Beale Street is where a lot of people go to drink n dance. IMO it's your typical "place to go" that every city has. Unless you really enjoy blues that is. Beale St has some cool Blues places like B.B. kings.

Also within blocks there's a Jillians which has giant TV's, 10+ pool tables, bowling, and some video games.

Besised those places there's something like 100 other bar type places to go within 1/2 mile of Beale St.

There's some good golf courses, zoo, and a couple other places to see/do.

like I said if you have a specific question don't hesitate.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 AM

NicksDad,

Your opinion on Gus's fried chicken?

I loved their spicy fried chicken (and the sweet potato pie) - do locals also dig the place?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NicksDad,

Your opinion on Gus's fried chicken?

I loved their spicy fried chicken (and the sweet potato pie) - do locals also dig the place?

[/ QUOTE ]

cliff notes at bottom.

I didn't like it. Which one did you eat at?

AFAIK Gus's became well known nation or world wide 5++ years ago when Rolling Stone said it was the best chicken ever.

At that time they only had one location which was in Mason Tn (I believe it was Mason anyway) and it was loaded with grease. Supposedly just some awesome stuff.

They then did what most people would do by expanding. They opened one near the Wolf Chase mall and one in downtown.

I've heard some real good things about the one downtown but I havn't tried that one. I havn't eaten there. I've only tried the place by the mall. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what but mine was no better than KFC.

cliff notes - I didn't like it. I don't know what locals think about em cause I don't really hear people talk about Gus's.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Downtown. It was good enough for me to revisit for lunch that trip and make a return on a later trip.

Interesting that the quality could vary that much.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Downtown. It was good enough for me to revisit for lunch that trip and make a return on a later trip.

Interesting that the quality could vary that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only ate there once so it might have just been a bad day/chicken.

I really don't hear people talk about it like EVER so either everyone is trying to keep the secret from me or I dunno.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 PM

If it's still going on when you visit, there's a great minor league baseball stadium downtown (within walking distance of Beale Street). Get a $5 tikcte and sit on the Bluff.

edit: Also be sure to ask them why they don't have an NFL team. They love that.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's still going on when you visit, there's a great minor league baseball stadium downtown (within walking distance of Beale Street). Get a $5 tikcte and sit on the Bluff.

edit: Also be sure to ask them why they don't have an NFL team. They love that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Red Birds last home game this season is like Saturday or Sunday (9-1,9-2).

But it is an awesome place. They spent 77 million on that AAA place. I heard it was modeled after Camden Yards.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 PM

I dated a girl who lived in Midtown. We went to a game almost every time I visited her.

Stubby Clapp has got to be the 2ns greatest name in minor league baseball history. (#1 being, of course, Razor Shines).
Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 PM

The stadium being built by the same people who did Camden Yards makes it pretty much similar to about a zillion other new-ish major-league and minor-league ballparks all over the country. That group is building ballparks all over the place.

I think it's definitely a good place to see a ball-game but wouldn't rate it that spectacularly. Kind of lacking in character imo.
Jim already gets a better baseball experience in STL at the new stadium there.
But since he's a Cards fan I guess going to the AAA games in downtown Memphis could certainly be fun for him.

Anyway, since the minor-league season is over anyway it's kind of a moot point.

Obviously the bigger touristy things in Memphis include Beale Street and Graceland as well as Sun Studios and the Rock and Soul museum.

I've heard that the Graceland tour is actually pretty interesting and worthwhile even if you're not an Elvis freak.
I personally never got around to it.

I've never heard anyone talk about Gus' chicken.
I've heard of it. But it's not a conversation topic imo.
Have heard about a zillion conversations about "try the ribs at such-and-such" over and over though.

I'm not a huge fan of Rendezvous but enough people are that you may want to check it out anyway.
I very much prefer the ribs at the Blues City Cafe on Beale.
Corky's doesn't blow me away either.

If you're coming to MEM in November or later then a Memphis Grizzlies game at the Fed Ex Forum can be somewhat enjoyable too. It's right there in the Beale Street touristy area.

You can also consider a U of M football game but they're not exactly a big deal. The stadium isn't really near downtown or Beale Street though.

Overall I don't really think MEM is that fantastic in the 'stuff to do' department.
Beale Street on a weekend can be fun if you're interested in going out at night and stuff like that.

Some of the other ideas mentioned like going to Jillian's or seeing a minor-league baseball game aren't exactly unique to Memphis.