Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Thomas Jones expected to be traded :(

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Adrian Peterson the Bears already have is a great RB.
And the best special teamer in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those saying the Bears only swapped 2nd round picks. Moving from the 63rd pick to 37th pick has roughly the same value as adding the 65th pick (round 3 pick 1).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard different "scales" used for determening the 63/37 swap but in my totally arbitrary opinion it sounds more like 4th/5th RD value.
Good deal for the Jets I think, though I can't really say I'm scared of facing T. Jones 2x per year.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard different "scales" used for determening the 63/37 swap but in my totally arbitrary opinion it sounds more like 4th/5th RD value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the value chart has it about right(37->63=67th pick). Just look at some trades in recent years and you'll see that a 4th/5th round pick is not close to enough to move that far in the 2nd round.

I think the bears obtained good value for Jones. He is a solid back with a low fumble rate that makes him deceptively valuable, but RBs with 8 years of wear and tear are notoriously unreliable.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the value chart has it about right(37->63=67th pick). Just look at some trades in recent years and you'll see that a 4th/5th round pick is not close to enough to move that far in the 2nd round.

I think the bears obtained good value for Jones. He is a solid back with a low fumble rate that makes him deceptively valuable, but RBs with 8 years of wear and tear are notoriously unreliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the years add up no matter how much you touch the ball, but he only has 1350 carries in his career...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who falls into this trap are those stupid Bears fans you always talk about. Because he does not deserve to be paid more than Urlacher and shouldn't be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he does and he should
Briggs > Urlacher

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be an ass.

The WSLB in this system is very replaceable. It's an unblocked position. There is a reason why Briggs makes all of those plays. I'm not saying he isn't good, but that position makes athletic guys that can tackle look like they are the second coming. While it's not easy to fill, the Bears have shown an ability to find these guys.

Briggs is better in pass coverage than most linebackers which makes him valuable. However, you have to understand that most of his pass coverage responsiblities fall in the nickle package. In the base formation Hillemeyer is covering tight ends. His main job is the running back. Get to him either in coverage or to tackle. It's a down hill position where your basically on full bore to hit the running back. Briggs is also very good at getting to the pile and ripping the ball free.

Urlacher's responsiblities are much more difficult. He has to cover the middle of the field which is a soft spot in every team's cover two, except the Bears. He has to be able to fill the A gaps on runs. So basically he must be able to diagnose run or pass and either be 10 yards up field or 10 yards down field on the the snap of the ball. He is also very good at getting to the pile and stripping. And often he is the pile. Being the first guy to a ball carrier and holding him up for other guys to strip. There is no replacement for Urlacher. There is nobody in the league as fast, tall or that reacts better to the play.

I was against franchising Briggs. Signing him to a long term deal would be fine, but making him ticked and a problem isn't helping. He will hold out all of training camp, whine up and down, show up the week before the season starts and by week 3/4 will be making all of those plays you always see him make.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Holy chit! Hahaha, I had no idea there was ANOTHER RB named Adrian Peterson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only he is the "other" Adrian Peterson, but he is also the all-time career leader in rushing yards for NCAA divisions I-A and I-AA.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The WSLB in this system is very replaceable. It's an unblocked position. There is a reason why Briggs makes all of those plays. I'm not saying he isn't good, but that position makes athletic guys that can tackle look like they are the second coming. While it's not easy to fill, the Bears have shown an ability to find these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the 2003 off-season, there was so much talk about the Bears letting Warrick Holdman go, and mumbles about how his play from the Will linebacker spot had many thinking he was "better" than Urlacher was in the middle.

Their was "panic" from fans and analysts as to whether or not he could be replaced by the 1st-year newcomer from Arizona, Lance Briggs.

Holdman went on to relative obscurity in Washington and Cleveland....Briggs slid into the Will slot and made the Pro Bowl.

If Briggs stays, he gets a fair deal, and accolades from reaping the benefits of the system.

If he leaves, he'll fade away unless he finds a similar system, and the Bears will plug in Leon Joe, Joe Odom, or any swinging dick they draft into the Will spot and that kid will be reaping the rewards of the system friendly weakside spot for the next 3 years before we rinse and repeat it yet again.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:56 AM

I think there are certain quality players who are system players. If you remember the middle linebacker from Philly, Trotter, who went from Philly to the Redskins went from Pro-Bowl to Pro-Blah. And went back to Philly and was again a Pro-Bowler.