Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: .10/.20 Is this standard or should I fold somewhere?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, won't put in the results next time. So the idea here is to get to the showdown for as few bets as possible when the ace hits?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a spot that will come up all the time ... and what you do can be diffenent.

but after the ace hits:
what hands do you think he would have raise pre flop but not cap
what hands do you think he would check-raise but just call you 3bet with

will he called the turned ace with any number of hands that you beat?

is there a good chance that this guy will bluff at the ace on the turn with a check raise (ie ... villain tends to be aggressive and somewhat tricky) ... what type of hands would he do this with

if you check the turn will he bet out enough times to make calling worth while

**after getting check raised on the turn why do you feel you need to call down?**
Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 PM

Well I must admit that it never occurred to me to check behind the turn.

The issue is that I can envision 99, TT, JJ, KQ, and of course AQ playing the flop this way (QQ, 22, 66 being somewhat more likely to have slowplayed). So once he checks the turn, warning bells aren't going off yet that I'm being trapped. Once I'm c/r'd I can say that he probably has 2 pair or better at that point and give it up.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I must admit that it never occurred to me to check behind the turn.

The issue is that I can envision 99, TT, JJ, KQ, and of course AQ playing the flop this way (QQ, 22, 66 being somewhat more likely to have slowplayed). So once he checks the turn, warning bells aren't going off yet that I'm being trapped. Once I'm c/r'd I can say that he probably has 2 pair or better at that point and give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

CR

after you 3ball the flop ... and the flop come down Q high (those hands easily play back against a standard c-bet), but once the Ace hits on the turn how many are going to call down ...

the ace is also a great bluff card ... in a couple of threads posters talk about a concept from Stox book (I've yet to find time to read it) and they mention something called a 'value check' and it's always been on a turn decision ... I think this might be a simliar 'thing'

<font color="red">edit</font>
this works best against an aggressive opponent ... obviously
Old 09-06-2007, 11:11 PM

I guess my default is to assume that at these nano stakes, villain is going to call down any made hand. So if he hit that Q, he's calling down despite the turned A. If this is the case, it's probably best to keep pummeling him. This is based on villain being an LP donkey.

If he's a more thinking opponent, he'd probably fold JJ now and AQ has us whipped. All that's left is KQ and other more unlikely hands (QJ) that getting 9:1 might call. In this case I can see checking behind having merit.

So a lesson for your kids -- reads count!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once I'm c/r'd I can say that he probably has 2 pair or better at that point and give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree... even at these stakes.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:16 AM

Thanks for the input. I think this probably should have been a fold on the turn. Even if I thought I just got floated by an ace on the flop, I'm still beat and can find a better spot.