Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Moving from Playdough to Real Dough

Hi all, I have been playing for free at FullTilt for two months and I do really well even though people play crazy on there for free. I am wondering how I should start playing for real.

My bankroll is $50. I prefer playing no limit holdem and pot limi omaha hi. I am not sure if it is better to start out doing cash or tournies and what my buy in should be to manage my bankroll properly.

Help please!

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Moving from Playdough to Real Dough

I've also moved from playmoney to real money a couple of weeks ago. Let me tell you, it really isn't the same...

Anyways, as to how you should manage your bankroll, try following Chris Ferguson advice on the following link.

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/pro-tip...on&tip=100

hope this help!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks, I heard Chris made all that money but I didn't know how he did it. So if I understand it right. I should bring in $2.5 at first until I reach a bankroll of $100 and then go up to $5. If I want to play those tournies I should do the $1.25.

Can I ask you if it makes a difference whether ur in the 45player, 90 player or the 180 player... would it be best to go for winning more more or have less players? Does the bigger field really make all that much of a difference?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 AM

This be the post to start you off gents:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

GL
Bear
Old 09-04-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm not a gent lol. But Thanks for the help!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:16 PM

My general advice (especially with your roll) for someone just switching to real dough: play far, far tighter than you think is right at first, or at least until you've adjusted to the idea of winning losing/winning real money. Rarely limp, and never open limp. It will help keep you out of marginal situations. Seek out the shortstacking opponents, who are generally bad. Bet amounts that punish players for chasing draws (you'll find a ton of that in micro). Be a TAG c-better.

Perhaps most importantly: understand variance.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:23 PM

I know that in the play games you can rarely get anyone to ever fold. I tried doing the 3 or 4 bet raising there and determined I did better with the play money when I just waited for premium hands and went all in because any dummy will call, but I know it will be vastly different at a cash table.

But I am wondering how well do the micro limit cash player play? Do they understand that a 4 bet raise is a possible big pocket pair or will they do what playdough players do and call with anything? At least as far as your experience tells you.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 PM

Depends on the limit. In the micro limits people play like they are playing with 100,000's play and not actuall cash. They play the same as far as i could see, loose as hell, ignore raises that scream high pocks, get lucky, and then crack you fast.

They play marginally trashy, and tend to love them draws.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that in the play games you can rarely get anyone to ever fold. I tried doing the 3 or 4 bet raising there and determined I did better with the play money when I just waited for premium hands and went all in because any dummy will call, but I know it will be vastly different at a cash table.

But I am wondering how well do the micro limit cash player play? Do they understand that a 4 bet raise is a possible big pocket pair or will they do what playdough players do and call with anything? At least as far as your experience tells you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked my way up from play money on three different sites, then starting at the lowest limits on PokerStars (1/2 cent cash and $1.20 SNG).

I lost my $50 bankroll a couple times, then ran it up to $170. Now I'm playing $5 SNG, and I plan to start playing some MTTs.

There are some incredibly bad players doing the micros. Kids playing with their parents money (and the other way around), and people who will come out and tell you they have no idea what they're doing, i.e., "This is my first time and I'm scared of losing my bankroll".

But I played micros, and most of the people reading this have as well. So everyone there can't be bad. In fact, I saw someone on PokerStars 12-tabling 1/2 cent cash games. I would much rather just move up to 2/4 cent, but to each his own.

So it will be a mixed bag. You might play a 1TT that's over in half an hour, followed by one where you have 5 left after 30 minutes.

You will be drawing with correct pot odds, and cursed and called a moron when you hit. There will be chat pushing right up to the edge of collusion (expect to be cursed again if you mention it).

There will of course be some nice people on (and some that don't chat at all), but be prepared for anything.

Generally, there will be between 0 and 2 other decent players at your table. Learn to adapt to the different players and styles that you will see.

Oh, one thing about the good players. There have been many times where myself and one other player were clearly better than the others. Often an unspoken agreement develops to stay out of each other's way.

I'll see that Joe doesn't play junk, and that he only raises when he has the goods. He figures out the same about me. After that, when one of us raises, it's usually an autofold for the other. We leave each other alone and eat the fish.

As far as losing my bankroll twice, that doesn't mean that you will. I was doing a lot of learning and experimenting. I tried different size SNG, from 9 players to 180. I played about with multitabling before I was really ready to do it. I didn't do much notetaking at first, thinking that at a big site like pokerstars I wouldn't see the same people in SNGs anyway, then saw the same player three days in a row.

Just keep learning, studying, and practicing, and you'll be fine.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a gent lol. But Thanks for the help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry
My bad

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]