Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Australian Elections Results

I though that I would start a thread for the Australian elections.

Not all polling booth have closed, but the early results are coming in. I predict and hope for a change of government.

This should be of some minor interests to the US, as we have been one of the US staunched allies for a long time.

Link to the tally room
Old 11-24-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Australian Elections Results

You guys could install Hitler as your leader and America wouldn't hear anything about it from their media.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 AM

Agreed! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It demonstrates the insularity of the US!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:09 AM

It looks like the liberal party and the Australian labor party are close. Since our media doesn’t care, and won’t cover it, what are some general differences between the two? Who are you hoping for Midge? As I often respect your side on things.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:15 AM

I hope for a Labor victory.

More interestingly is that the current Prime Minister is in trouble in his own seat/electorate. Historically, only once has a Prime Minister lost his own seat Australian elections.

Looking at current results: they are coming from the Eastern states. Western Australia only closed its polling booth, 15 minutes ago (due to time differences).

A labor victory would show a degree of dissatisfaction with our current US relationship.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope for a Labor victory.

More interestingly is that the current Prime Minister is in trouble in his own seat/electorate. Historically, only once has a Prime Minister lost his own seat Australian elections.

Looking at current results: they are coming from the Eastern states. Western Australia only closed its polling booth, 15 minutes ago (due to time differences).

A labor victory would show a degree of dissatisfaction with our current US relationship

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Midge, this is informative to me. I understand fully well from your posts that you don't hate the U.S. or U.S. people, only current U.S. policies. I concur for the most part with this sentiment. So I thank you for the good information. I'll be keenly looking forward to the results of your elections, and I will educate myself more fully on the implications.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 AM

Latest update the government has fallen, the opposition takes power (unofficial result endorsed by a few candidates of each party).

I am cracking a bottle of Champagne right now. The liar prime minister hasn't outlived his lies (and might still loose his seat although unlikely, but still a slap in the face swingers from his own constituency). I hope the US gives a similar result in its presidential elections. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Latest update the government has fallen, the opposition takes power (unofficial result endorsed by a few candidates of each party).

I am cracking a bottle of Champagne right now. The liar prime minister hasn't outlived his lies (and might still loose his seat although unlikely, but still a slap in the face swingers from his own constituency). I hope the US gives a similar result in its presidential elections. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ] Wish I had Champagne and folks to share it with. Right now I'm cracking a bottle of Jim Beam by myself. Interesting how so many elections have been anti-U.S. policy lately, except, strangly enough, France.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:51 AM

Cheers yukoncpa! The more we understand that election results anywhere in the world have some impact on our lives the better off we will be.

I am taking a drink of my champagne, and think of you, a citizen of the US, who has so much more influence on the world.

Cheers dude! Hope your life will get better and better! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

PS Waiting for the PM to concede defeat on TV. I would say within 60-90 minutes! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers yukoncpa! The more we understand that election results anywhere in the world have some impact on our lives the better off we will be.

I am taking a drink of my champagne, and think of you, a citizen of the US, who has so much more influence on the world.

Cheers dude! Hope your life will get better and better!

PS Waiting for the PM to concede defeat on TV. I would say within 60-90 minutes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers to you. And a very merry Christmas and happy new year. And to your wonderful election results. Cheers again, I toast you.