Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Saving the Earth from people

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly she states "Having children is selfish." and I must insist that as I examine the life choices of so many 20 somethings and 30 somethings, not having children is quite possible the most selfish act they choose. It's contrary to nature in the deepest way and an expression of self interest at its worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the contrary. Ask anyone why they want a baby. They’ll say: because I want someone to carry on my name, because I want a beautiful little boy ( girl ) to love, because I want somebody who will love me, because I don’t wish to be alone in my old age. Etc, etc. I hardly ever hear anyone giving an altruistic reason for wanting to have a kid of their own. If you are a true altruist, why not adopt?

On a recent History channel episode regarding things that will end human life on earth, several people were asked - what would you do if you knew you had two years on this planet and there was absolutely, beyond any doubt nothing you or anyone else could do. One person said he would crash the playboy mansion, another said he would travel, but several people said - “ well, I’ve never had kids, so I think I would have a child". My God man, these folks who want to have children of their own are among the most selfish people on earth.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 AM

I have not been elaborated on.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Scientifically, her view on why people have children is close to correct. It is genes, however, that are 'selfish', not people, as the name of Dawkins classic suggests. Our genes would not have survived if they didn't replicate themselves, "so behavior about maintaining your genetic line at the expense of the planet" is what evolution has brought to us. She is a fine illustration of the truth of Dawkins theory: Her behavior will not lead to her genes being replicated, and, because there is a positive correlation between the values and political views of a parent and child, this means that this viewpoint will not, simply by this aspect genetic replication, come to be the dominant viewpoint amongst humans. It may for other reasons, of course...

Anybody that doesn't favor the extinction of the human race can't favor the institutionalization of what you call 'her program', and if her reasons for her behavior are about improving things for human beings, she doesn't support 'her program' either. If she thinks that the earth is more important than human beings she is, imo, insane, as the earth does not think, or feel pain, or have a sense of justice.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 PM

Their debatable assumption must be that if we don't conserve future generations will be poorer than us.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:17 PM

Stories like this make me think "You go girl!!" In a generation or two, she and her ilk will no longer be part of the discussion. I've always liked the statistic that at the population density of New York City (27,083 people per sq. mile) you could fit the entire world's population (6 Billion) comfortably in the state of Texas (261,797 square miles). (6B/27,083=221,541 to save you the math) Stats from Wiki.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lastly she states "Having children is selfish." and I must insist that as I examine the life choices of so many 20 somethings and 30 somethings, not having children is quite possible the most selfish act they choose. It's contrary to nature in the deepest way and an expression of self interest at its worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the contrary. Ask anyone why they want a baby. They’ll say: because I want someone to carry on my name, because I want a beautiful little boy ( girl ) to love, because I want somebody who will love me, because I don’t wish to be alone in my old age. Etc, etc. I hardly ever hear anyone giving an altruistic reason for wanting to have a kid of their own. If you are a true altruist, why not adopt?

On a recent History channel episode regarding things that will end human life on earth, several people were asked - what would you do if you knew you had two years on this planet and there was absolutely, beyond any doubt nothing you or anyone else could do. One person said he would crash the playboy mansion, another said he would travel, but several people said - “ well, I’ve never had kids, so I think I would have a child". My God man, these folks who want to have children of their own are among the most selfish people on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

You more or less skipped right over what I wrote and went straight for the talking points. To choose yourself, your interest, your fun, your self-indulgence over family can be considered nothing other than selfish. If you're unable to see this, nothing I write will help you.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You more or less skipped right over what I wrote and went straight for the talking points. To choose yourself, your interest, your fun, your self-indulgence over family can be considered nothing other than selfish.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but that's not the same as choosing not to have kids.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:02 PM

On another level, it is the most civilized and advanced parts of the world that are exercising population control a la Toni Vernelli. Meanwhile in 3rd world countries dominated by Islam in the east and Catholicism's anti birth control in the south, people are reproducing like rabbits. Where does that leave us in 20 years?

Choosing not to have kids is not only selfish, it is hazardous to our way of life.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On another level, it is the most civilized and advanced parts of the world that are exercising population control a la Toni Vernelli. Meanwhile in 3rd world countries dominated by Islam in the east and Catholicism's anti birth control in the south, people are reproducing like rabbits. Where does that leave us in 20 years?

Choosing not to have kids is not only selfish, it is hazardous to our way of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

zoe noes the dark skinned people are coming

Serious question: what should we do, exactly, to make sure this "hazard to our way of life" never comes to fruition? Should Western governments restrict access to birth control? Or perhaps we could enact some kind of "final solution" to this messy demographics problem that "is hazardous to our way of life" by some kind of forced sterilization of these people who reproduce like animals?