Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 11:05 AM

Default How would you play this hand?

In the middle of a 45 man tourney with a low buy-in. The average stack is about 3000. The tournament has a rather rapid blinds structure.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG (t6350)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t4120)</font>
MP2 (t3380)
CO (t2765)
Button (t1170)
SB (t1665)
BB (t2545)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t500</font>, Hero calls t500, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1150) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t5850 (All-In)</font>,

Do you think villain would play a nine or an overpair this way?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: How would you play this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think villain would play a nine or an overpair this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But he can also play AK this way.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. But he can also play AK this way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to mention 22-88. I still fold, though.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:54 AM

Weird play by the villain. This one seems read dependent to me. 5xBB PF? Is this his standard raise? Standard for the table? How often has he been raising? What's his VIPI? This would give me some useful information and help me find a range.

I'm really afraid of JJ here b/c I think villain raises less PF w/QQ-AA if he is a typical donk. But if he is a good player, he might make this raise w/his strong hands figuring to get paid off in these $1.20 tourney's (is this right?). 5xBB to me says go away please b/c I don't know how to play this hand after the flop = 77-JJ.

What other reads do we have? Have we seen him show any hands down at all yet?

I use more info. to tip my decision here. This is obviously a critical point b/c double up here for you probably means a top 3 finish.

Shermn
Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 PM

I call this real quick and expect to see AK/AQ pretty often.

I've called down bets like these with less than TT.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:46 PM

To me I think the key is that you said this is a low buy-in, so there is a good chance he is a donk. I'd call and expect to be shown AK, maybe even a smaller pocket pair.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 PM

A good read would swing my decision here, but sight unseen I wouldn't be any less surprised to see QQ than I would AK.

I'm definately worried about an overpair here, especially against an inexperienced player.

I'd probably let him have it, figuring my good position on the guy in future hands (and his apparently scared play) might give me a better shot at him later on.

Here I can put him on a general range of hands, none of them a draw. AK, maybe AQ. From a bad player, hands like KQ or A5, 88, 77. And a bluff. You can beat all of those.

The problem is all the hands you can't beat. A9 (you see these Ax guys at those tables all the time). 99 and 55 are long shots but possible. Then there's all the higher pairs AA-JJ.

It just seems a little too muddy - folding will still have you as the second highest stack at the table, and in good position to work the guy later on.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 PM

I probably fold too early to risk this much on this type of overbet. Unless you have more information in terms of reads on him I would fold. You still have over 3600 in chips, no need to risk your tournament life on this hand.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably fold too early to risk this much on this type of overbet. Unless you have more information in terms of reads on him I would fold. You still have over 3600 in chips, no need to risk your tournament life on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak sauce. Tournament life whatever. It's a $1.20 tourney. Your point about still having 3600 left is true and worth considering folding, but the concept of risking your tournament life is silly. You have to take gambles early to win these things.