Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 AM

Default stars $6 turbo - what is the max raise i should be calling with pp\'s?

This is more of a general question. I read the new 2+2 SNG book and they recommend limping small pocket pairs, suited connectors, suited aces etc to try to hit sets, straights, flushes etc.

Suited aces and connectors i usually throw away if there's a raise because it's unlikely i'll flop a pat hand and i won't get odds to call on the flop.

I was wondering about small to medium pocket pairs. Obviously if there's a large raise i'm folding. But at 10/20 and 15/30 what is the max raise i should call? 3, 4, 5 bb's? When it gets to 25/50 i don't think i am getting proper odds to call any raise, but should i be limping, esp. in position?

My problem is if they have 2 high cards and don't hit, i may not be able to stack. If i cold call the raise, it could get reraised behind me and i'll have to fold. Also chips lost are more valuable than chips gained so if i'm getting the exact odds i need to set farm, i should probably pass on that bet right? I'm just wondering in what situations I should be calling with pp's and for how much?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: stars $6 turbo - what is the max raise i should be calling with pp

its all situational. so you're better off posting specific situations and specific hands. but in general you can call more bbs the more players there are in the pot. its not a good idea to play small pps 25/50 and beyond. as for medium pps at 25/50 once again it depends. ill open limp 77 88 ep mp as long as the game is playing passively and i have around ~1500 chips.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM

call a raise if you think you can make 10x the raise if you hit a set.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call a raise if you think you can make 10x the raise if you hit a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

on average. so if you get raised to 150 at 25/50, you'll need to win 1500 AVERAGE everytime you hit your set, which imo rarely happens. AK whiffs, and everyone folds, people are scared off by a drawy looking board, etc. I rarely call raises for set value with small pairs except maybe in the very first level. I limp them more frequently, but will usually fold to a pf raise.