Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 10:09 AM

Default NL50: my cards are face up...a better line for a set OOP?

Villain is a nit. He has an overpair here 100% of the time. I felt really stupid after this hand. I am thinking the best alternative here is raising the flop and hoping he is willing to go broke with an overpair on this board.

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $46.95
UTG: $44.75
MP: $49.70
CO: $59.90
BTN: $51.55
Hero (SB): $70.25

Pre-Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, BTN folds, Hero calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50

Flop: ($8) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red">MP bets $4.50</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $4.50, BB folds

Turn: ($17) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $8.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $27</font>, MP folds

What else here? raise the flop while he is convinced he has the best hand? flat call turn and then then put out a small value bet on the river?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: NL50: my cards are face up...a better line for a set OOP?

A true nit is automatically worrying about 8x when 3 other players take that flop with his overpair (unless the table is full of nits, which is unlikely.) The board texture is pretty dry too, so he's not going to put people on draws and read their raises / donks as semi-bluffs. This really might be one of those unusual spots where the combination of villain, your hand, board texture, other people in the pot = don't raise flop or turn, lead river small. If the board was wetter, you could try weak leading flop (donk style, to be sure), flat calling his raise, and check-raising the (often blank) turn, but that's not going to work here. True nits are hard to extract from, even under the best of circumstances.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:27 AM

He has an overpair, donk it.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Lead flop. 3/4 pot. Call raise.

CRAI on turn.

[x] stackadonk completed.

Todd
Old 10-14-2007, 10:52 AM

It's hard to get value out of it on a paired board against a nit. I like leading out on the flop, but really I'm not sure how much action you're going to get when he's looking at 3 villains on a paired board.
Another alternative is like Khumalo said, just check/call until river where you make a small valuebet. I really doubt you're going to stack a nit here no matter how you play it