Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Re: I want to turn pro after college

Seriously, you don't need to put you played cards on your resume, you could explain it away as travelling or something along those lines. Don't say finding yourself. If i were an interviewer and you said that, I'd punch you in the face.

I don't remember where I got my avatar, but I agree it's great and I look at it for inspiration instead of pics of the wife and kid.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hi mak,

i stopped reading after this: "OK, so I'm a Junior at the Wharton Business School".

poker sucks. i've followed your posts and im sure you are a good winning player but you've also run insanely hot over large sample sizes. you may run break even for your next 100k hands. who knows. but i know once you hit a cold streak you'll hate it and realize poker sucks.

you have a great education - dont let it go to waste is my advice

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the compliment.

are you a pro?

i agree i may have run hot to win at the rate i have, even though i've played 1/2NL+ for over 150k hands so it's not like a small sample though admittedly not huge. i do not think it's possible for me to break even over 100k hands without the games getting drastically worse, but maybe i'm wrong.

i also don't think poker is all peaches, and i am sure there will be days or weeks or even months where i find it boring or even terrible if i end up being a pro for a number of years. however, i honestly think i would find it less boring/horrible than the grind of a more traditional job, especially given that if i hate it for a couple weeks, i can just not play for a couple weeks.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you know the original penn crew? Do you know who ashok is? There is a strong contingent of Penn pros who after graduation went pro, who probably faced similar sentiments that you're currently facing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do not. i wouldn't mind being put in touch if you think it would be helpful to me in making the decision and balancing life and poker if i do turn pro.

[ QUOTE ]
There are also many successful players who plan to or already entered the work force, ask doug kim or strassa. It's entirely up to you, but if you're not really enjoying Wharton, why don't you take classes you would like?

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is i have very little academic interests in any field. i've been told it's impressive how little interest i have in anything academic given how smart i am.

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. it really is a tough spot, although i guess a good problem to have, and i hope if i do turn pro i won't regret it, but i do like the idea more the more i think about it.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but i know once you hit a cold streak you'll hate it and realize poker sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've broken even for 100k hands before and I KNOW poker sucks, I don't like to play sometimes either when running bad but I also know with certainty its 10000x better than having to wake up at 8am every day to go to some job. At least for me im positive even with how much poker sucks, its nothing close to a job in the workforce. At least when poker is sucking you can play at your own convenience and get your hands in or whatever, if your job is sucking oh well, tough luck, you have to go and every day at that. My mom has had a job with the same company for over 25 years and just talking with her and seeing how much it affects her just re-affirms to me exactly why I do not want a job. She has a masters degree fwiw.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:18 AM

I know someone whose gone pro playing $50 nl and $100 nl who doesn't even like to play much at all. He has been doing this for 3 years or so I believe so i'd say mak15 is in great shape....