Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Talking poker outside 2p2

[ QUOTE ]
who has friends that dont play poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha
Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 AM

if someone asks you how much youre up/down i think its a pretty clear indication that he doesnt know what hes talking about.

if the person knows poker he just asks what stakes and game you play.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ha. I usually just try to be vague. If they ask me about money I have no problem being vague, "I lost a little" or "I won a bit" or "I finished about even I think" usually appeases them.

The only thing I sometimes don't catch myself on is when someone asks something like "Wiggs, how do you play pocket pairs before the flop" and I come back with "I mean, are you first to open? How many big blinds is your stack? What position are you in. I mean it depends on all that, plus how loose or tight everyone is behind you. If someone raised how big was it? Just one opponent? Oh it also depends on how many people are at the table and how big everyone's stack is behind you." - And then they say "I just mean, when you get a pair, what do you usually do?" Puts me on life tilt and I wish I had just said "call" the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm out to dinner with my dad's wife's family. Her sister's husband is a finance guy (wealthy and retired ldo) and digs poker. He comes up to me during the dinner and goes, and I quote, "You have ace king and you read a guy for a pair, are you in or are you out?"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!

Xaston,
how did you reply?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He comes up to me during the dinner and goes, and I quote, "You have ace king and you read a guy for a pair, are you in or are you out?"

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'm not just in, IM ALL-IN BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Then you hi-five!

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly the correct play.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 AM

The worst part is when people get jeelous, feels like that happens alot for me. And I don't even make that much, just much more then the average kid of my age. I got no problem with people who think I'm crazy/dumb/follish when I have big looses but when I know someone is jealous it's not fun. And you get some really frustrating questions from people who play but don't understand the game at all too, oh well, I guess I have to try and not to talk poker with friens/people in general anymore. It's just har to dodge when everyone knows you're playing.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
happy birthday!

[/ QUOTE ]

ty [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ha. I usually just try to be vague. If they ask me about money I have no problem being vague, "I lost a little" or "I won a bit" or "I finished about even I think" usually appeases them.

The only thing I sometimes don't catch myself on is when someone asks something like "Wiggs, how do you play pocket pairs before the flop" and I come back with "I mean, are you first to open? How many big blinds is your stack? What position are you in. I mean it depends on all that, plus how loose or tight everyone is behind you. If someone raised how big was it? Just one opponent? Oh it also depends on how many people are at the table and how big everyone's stack is behind you." - And then they say "I just mean, when you get a pair, what do you usually do?" Puts me on life tilt and I wish I had just said "call" the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm out to dinner with my dad's wife's family. Her sister's husband is a finance guy (wealthy and retired ldo) and digs poker. He comes up to me during the dinner and goes, and I quote, "You have ace king and you read a guy for a pair, are you in or are you out?"

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it? In or out?

Seriously though, I understand the desire to talk to non-poker people about poker. It always seems like a conversation I want to have and that it would be interesting to talk to a friend/family member about it, but every time I think that its ends horribly. Do yourself a favor and find a way to avoid the subject.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sigh, I totally thought everyone would be psyched to hear I play poker for a living... not true though. So far there's been a pretty even split between people who think it's neat and people who don't get it AT ALL.

My landlord's wife is in the latter camp - she really likes me but is completely convinced I'm delusional and for some reason don't realize it's all luck. She knows I was a physics major at Harvard too, and yet pays no attention whatsoever when I try to explain the math to her... gd it's tiltifying [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The vast majority of people do not see poker as a game, but strictly as a form of gambling. I even have a couple of friends who play for fun on an occasion and they don't get it either. If I have a big score, in their mind I essentially just hit my roulette number.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh, I totally thought everyone would be psyched to hear I play poker for a living... not true though. So far there's been a pretty even split between people who think it's neat and people who don't get it AT ALL.

My landlord's wife is in the latter camp - she really likes me but is completely convinced I'm delusional and for some reason don't realize it's all luck. She knows I was a physics major at Harvard too, and yet pays no attention whatsoever when I try to explain the math to her... gd it's tiltifying [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The vast majority of people do not see poker as a game, but strictly as a form of gambling. I even have a couple of friends who play for fun on an occasion and they don't get it either. If I have a big score, in their mind I essentially just hit my roulette number.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true. When I told my Dad I was playing he got real upset and told me all these stories of successful people who lost millions of dollars gambling. I asked him which games they played and he told me "Craps, Roulette, Blackjack, etc." but not poker. I tried to explain that in poker you aren't playing against the house, but in his mind its all the same. Once I started winning the argument he switched gears and told me I'm going to lose because online poker is rigged. I asked him to prove this, and he could not, but of course I cannot PROVE that it's not rigged either. (And the whole Absolute thing REALLY didn't help here) So I just ended it by saying I'll stop playing online and start playing live in A.C. instead!!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 AM

And hopefully it will stay this way. If everyone understood the ins and outs of gambling it would be horrible. So cmon guys be carefull what you wish for, and at least you can make it more fun by saying something along the lines " I am such a degen and gambler that no one will be ever jealous"