Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 PM

Default 50NL: 2 hands versus 60/10

The villain in both of these hands is the same. He is playing 60/10. He loves to float. If you check to him on the turn he pots it every time.

Would appreciate feedback on how I played these and how I might play them better. Thanks!

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

CO: $15.65
BTN: $57.65
Hero (SB): $60.60
BB: $25.95
UTG: $35.85

Pre-Flop: A Q dealt to Hero (SB)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.50</font>, BB calls $1
<font color="blue">Standard</font>

Flop: ($3) 7 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2
<font color="blue">Likely have the best hand</font>

Turn: ($7) T (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4.50</font>, BB calls $4.50
<font color="blue">Again, I still likely have the best hand. If I check he's going to pot it so I decide to double barrel</font>

River: ($16) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $10.50</font>, Hero calls $10.50
<font color="blue">Now I am very likely to have the best hand. He has a little over the size of the pot left. I thought about shoving but decided I'd give him a chance to bluff. His bet is suspicious. I would have preferred to see him shove all in. I call.</font>

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $15.65
UTG: $58.40
Hero (CO): $50
BTN: $42.35
SB: $35.35

Pre-Flop: A K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $6</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $4.25
<font color="blue">I haven't seen him 3 bet yet. He doesn't raise a lot of hands to begin with. I have been active though. I thought about shoving. Thought about folding. I decided to call since he's not great.</font>

Flop: ($12.75) J K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks
<font color="blue">Not sure why he checks.</font>

Turn: ($12.75) 7 (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8</font>, BTN calls $8
<font color="blue">Now I have TP + FD so I bet. Seems pretty standard. Villain just calls.</font>

River: ($28.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $12</font>, BTN calls $12
<font color="blue">Betting here seems thin, but if ever there was a villain to bet thin against it's a 60/10. I made a smaller than usual bet because I felt he was weak with the way he had played it.</font>
Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: 50NL: 2 hands versus 60/10

Both of these hands look good to me. I basically agree with every action you took in hand 1, from pf to river, and would size my bets similarly.

Hand 2 is debatable pf, as you pointed out, but a call there is okay assuming he'll give you two streets of solid value with his TT-QQ when you hit, which you then proceed to go about extracting post-flop.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 PM

hand one. use your read if he pots the turn with a wide range it is a perfect spot for CRAI.

hand two, bet like ten on the turn and shove the river for value. many will call with QQ, KQ, AJ. these guys play pretty erratically and will 3-bet out of the blue with weird hands then get married to them.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 AM

one is OK but I would have made it bigger on the turn. As is this is like a really thin valuebet, which is OK but not great.

Two seems ok. I'd be fine with just betting the flop too since he has a tendency to float, and he'll likely be similar in reraised pots.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 AM

Why is the river such a thin value bet against a guy playing 60% of his hands and constantly floating?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is the river such a thin value bet against a guy playing 60% of his hands and constantly floating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, IMO it was thin for a few reasons. It's a 3bet pot, the board is very coordinated, and villain is aggressive but has slowed down, which is suspicious. I suppose some guys wouldn't consider it to be a thin bet.

#1 - Villain had A7.

#2 - Villain had JJ.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Hand 1 - Think you went about this all wrong, as you said villain floats, then pots turn, so CRAI is far more EV than a double barrell, where you likely have ~19% equity if called.

Hand 2 - I could let the AK go OOP preflop, and call in position.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Hand 2 I don't like the pf call oop. Just 4bet/shove or fold. Depends on what you think his 3bet range is. I like 4bet.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 I don't like the pf call oop. Just 4bet/shove or fold. Depends on what you think his 3bet range is. I like 4bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, I hadn't seen him 3 bet at all. And he was only raising about 10% as it was.

Against a good player I think fold/shove is better than calling. Obviously you are less likely to get paid off from a good player, especially OOP. Many times you will fold the best hand.

However, against a bad player, I think calling is better. Even if you are OOP. A bad player is more likely to pay off or make an absurd bluff. I don't think it's the most +EV play to put your whole stack in preflop against someone that you will have a large edge on postflop.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM

Dan,

You missed a lot of river value in hand 1. Just VB pot or c/shove if you feel he will bluff.

Im pretty ok with hand 2. If im OOP and really active ill just shove PF. As played PF, the rest is damn near perfect.