Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Dramatics! Neverwin Stars Busto? Collateral Damage?

Tstone, that's easy to say when Norman Chad is gushing over your looks.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tstone, that's easy to say when Norman Chad is gushing over your looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, the man is quite sexy.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Tstone:

I agree with your 1st paragraph, I'll leave #2 alone, but #3 I call BS on.

Women have NOT been riding on their looks for "years and years". I can only count on one hand women who I consider riding the poker world with their looks for the past 3-4 years only.

This forum has a chauvinistic tone because it's predominatly male, just like the poker world. Women who are in this world, knowing that it's male dominant, need to adapt and grow some cajones in order to "make it" IMO. Thick skin is absolutely needed, but that doesn't mean that abuse will be tolerated.

"...most women entering the poker world try to make it to the top by sitting in front of mirrors wondering how theyll pose the next time a camera is in their face." is absolutely false. Yes, there are SOME, but to categorize and put "most" women into that category is presumptious and stereotyping from a couple of women that HAVE used the limelight, spotlight, drama (ie Brandi) to get ahead in the poker world.

Just my $.01, 1/2 price today.

T
Old 08-17-2007, 02:08 PM

I'm wondering if I may have indirectly contributed to some of this situation...

A week or two ago, I was sitting at a 200/400 table by myself and then Unassigned sat in to play me, and I sat out and said I didn't want to play him... He left, then ~2 minutes later Bill Chen sat in, I played a few hands, and then said, "Terrence is this you still?" Then Unassigned joined the table while we were playing, and said something like, "no, I only play on my own account." I responded something like, "ok, just making sure... I know you two are good friends." Unassigned then says, "Bill, Papa is saying that because I just tried to play him HU."

So yeah, don't know if that would spark Chen to have pokerstars investigate account sharing.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:49 PM

tstone-

i agree with what you're saying. there are certain representatives (for BOTH sexes) that i wish would step down as examples of our gender.

but as far as women in poker go and your views on how we as a group or a few individuals choose to act, my main point remains the same. i feel the men are the ones responsible for leaving us very few paths to follow to fame. yes, a woman who studies and racks up results will probably not reach notoriety as quickly as the girl who studies half as much, has no results, but wears a push up bra and fake eyelashes. but how is that OUR fault? WHO decides what to notice in a profession full of men? The men do. And if the men notice a woman with a low cut top before they notice a woman who can successfully four barrel bluff phil ivey, well... what are we expected to do?

this quote from thomas more illustrates my point beautifully. "for if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them".
Old 08-17-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tstone-

i agree with what you're saying. there are certain representatives (for BOTH sexes) that i wish would step down as examples of our gender.

but as far as women in poker go and your views on how we as a group or a few individuals choose to act, my main point remains the same. i feel the men are the ones responsible for leaving us very few paths to follow to fame. yes, a woman who studies and racks up results will probably not reach notoriety as quickly as the girl who studies half as much, has no results, but wears a push up bra and fake eyelashes. but how is that OUR fault? WHO decides what to notice in a profession full of men? The men do. And if the men notice a woman with a low cut top before they notice a woman who can successfully four barrel bluff phil ivey, well... what are we expected to do?

this quote from thomas more illustrates my point beautifully. "for if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good quote. It's also a pretty deep quote. I like it.

Yet it isn't 100% relevant to the case at hand.

You're saying that pretty ladies such as Brandi was forced into a path where people noticed her for her looks and the trainwreck. She wasn't given a choice, and men are ultimately responsible for being the cause and the effect. Such may be true, if you assumed that originally the Poker community had an option to begin with. What you are saying would be true if Brandi played excellent poker to begin with and we chose to ignore all that and concentrated on a low-cut top, pretty face, etc.

But that wasn't what happened. As far as I can recall, her stunning entrance into the strategy side of the 2P2 community was less than impressive. She herself will admit that she made a lot of improvements in recent months. While I commend her for that, it nonetheless implies she was a weak player to start with. And don't forget, first impressions are lasting or at the very least, takes a long time to change.

For what its worth, I am on the side of the 'don't believe everything you hear on the Internet'. I followed the Brandi/Mark threads because it provided great entertainment. Just like you are friends with Brandi; I am friends with Mark. And I didn't make a judgement on his character until I got to know him better in person - just like to this day I have not made a judgement on Brandi's character because I've never met her.

I'm trying to be objective. ; )

~andy
Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 PM

you expect NVG to embrace Sir Thomas More?

so much for women's intuition.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tstone-

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably the biggest bunch of horse [censored] I've read on 2+2, and that's saying a lot.

For a woman to claim that being pretty/hot/stacked/sexy is anything other than a huge advantage, in poker and in life, is so ridiculous I don't even think it deserves a response.

And to blame men for forcing you poor women to slutt it up to get any attention. Barf. If we're such pigs, why do you care so much if we give you attention? Wear a [censored] burka to the tables and force the world to respect your mad skillz.

Do you believe that women are smart enough and powerful enough to compete with men on equal footing? Or are they delicate flowers who need protection from the big, bad chauvinists who like to peek down their cleavage? You can't have it both ways.

What a terrible post.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:26 PM

whatever dude. i never said getting ahead on your looks was a disadvantage. all i said is, you guys cant fault us for taking advantage of that option. yes, its easy. you guys make it easy. i didnt say we need protection. i do believe we are equals. i believe we arent treated as equals. and its a double standard that we women did not put in place single handedly.

its just funny that even though you guys are all saying bla bla bla why is she famous bla bla bla no one cares. then why are there 15,000 views to her threads and a million replys to her too? obviously you care enough to respond that you dont care. LOL. if you really didnt care the threads would be buried. its laughable to make fun of us for using the get-ahead-on-your-looks option when you guys served it to us on a silver platter.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whatever dude. i never said getting ahead on your looks was a disadvantage. all i said is, you guys cant fault us for taking advantage of that option. yes, its easy. you guys make it easy. i didnt say we need protection. i do believe we are equals. i believe we arent treated as equals. and its a double standard that we women did not put in place single handedly.

[/ QUOTE ]

George Clooney has a zillion dollars and can have sex with just about any woman in the world. He also has loony photographers sifting through his garbage. The curse and the blessing, they're one and the same. Don't bitch about the downside while taking advantage of the upside.

[ QUOTE ]
its just funny that even though you guys are all saying bla bla bla why is she famous bla bla bla no one cares. then why are there 15,000 views to her threads and a million replys to her too? obviously you care enough to respond that you dont care. LOL. if you really didnt care the threads would be buried. its laughable to make fun of us for using the get-ahead-on-your-looks option when you guys served it to us on a silver platter.

[/ QUOTE ]

The threads get a million views because Brandi is a good looking chick who shows her titts to everyone and who is also obviously crazy and slutting her way to the top of the poker world. Her threads all have high potential to have titts and/or trainwrecks in them. Who wouldn't read them?