Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Starbucks

CB,

I had a meeting at a Starbucks the other day. I mainly go to local coffeehouses, so I rarely am at Starbucks - usually just if I'm at an airport or something like that.

Anyway, without thinking, I asked for a double latte. Guy responded "what size" which given your explanation makes sense. I was a bit flustered by the question and just said "large" and he gave me a Venti. That explains why it was a little "milkier" than I am used to my lattes tasting.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:24 PM

it's funny, because when I hear "double latte" I automatically think tall with an extra shot.

This happened on one of my first shifts...a lady (bitch) came in and asked for a double latte. I asked what size, and she sarcastically was like "well a grande and venti both have 2 shots, so a double would have to be a tall wouldn't it?"

I wanted to punch her in the face, but I think she had a point.

In any case I always ask what size if it's not stipulated
Old 09-26-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB,

I had a meeting at a Starbucks the other day. I mainly go to local coffeehouses, so I rarely am at Starbucks - usually just if I'm at an airport or something like that.

Anyway, without thinking, I asked for a double latte. Guy responded "what size" which given your explanation makes sense. I was a bit flustered by the question and just said "large" and he gave me a Venti. That explains why it was a little "milkier" than I am used to my lattes tasting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably one of the trickier things that Starbucks does, because a lot of other coffee shops base their size off the number of shots of espresso that are put in. We don't. Whatever, wasn't my decision. I don't see anything too off in his question, especially if he's never experienced other coffee shops other than Starbucks. That isn't too uncommon, either. Several partners don't know much about coffee or coffee shops when they first start.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:30 PM

CB,

There's nothing wrong with his question now that you've explained it. I just had assumed that all three sizes had the same milk/espresso ratio.

I'm travelling the next few days and will likely be at Starbucks again. I think I'll try venti with an extra shot.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB,

There's nothing wrong with his question now that you've explained it. I just had assumed that all three sizes had the same milk/espresso ratio.

I'm travelling the next few days and will likely be at Starbucks again. I think I'll try a triple venti

[/ QUOTE ]

come on sir, this is a starbucks thread :P
Old 09-26-2007, 02:45 PM

traz,

Thanks for saving me from further Starbucks ordering embarrassment!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how the hell do you pronounce dulce de leche? I've heard it said like 4 difference ways by employees.

[/ QUOTE ]

how could it be anything but

doolsay day laychay

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, or close enough.

This coming from the ex-wife of one of the inventors of the flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dulce de leche is Spanish; the phonetic spelling is correct but be careful not to pronounce it like a yankee; it needs a Spanish accent applied or you will end up saying it wrong. Dulce de leche is a caramel-like fantastic wonder that is incredibly common in Argentina. People will spread it on crackers and enjoy. The leche part is because you can actually make the stuff from scratch with milk as the main ingredient though I've never had the pleasure of seeing it done.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CB,

How often would you say that a hot Starbucks chick gets asked out by a customer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking through this thread again, and wanted to point out that some dude asked my manager out the other day. She has a boyfriend, so dude got shot down. But from he way she was telling the story, if she was single, [censored] woulda been on like Donkey Kong.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CB: Yerba mate. This is a chai-like thing that apparently actually IS different than tea. Has Starbucks ever sold this? Tully's here sells it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another Argentine/Uruguayan thing. As far as I understand, yerba mate is not tea, but very similar; the plant is called yerba mate (as opposed to a tea bush) and the drink is just the plant crushed and put into a mate with hot water added and drank through a bombilla (or in the bastardized USA-version put into a tea-bag). If you want to pronounce it correctly (from the region it came from) it'd be SHER-ba MA-te (I said I sucked at these phonetic things but you get the idea).

Edit: If it doesn't look like this, you got some bastardized mate.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:32 AM

Do they drug test?