Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Starbucks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cb/traz,

i basically never pay for anything at the starbucks i frequent...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should start paying, or at least tip really really well. Like, at least 2 bucks. I've never consistently given someone free drinks, and it sounds [censored] up that it's happening. If a regular comes in and forgot their wallet, or has less money than they thought they had, etc, I'll hook them up that day, no problem. But your situation sounds really shady. But, I'm not you, so do what you feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a new question about tipping. usually when they do the 'don't worry about it' thing and i've already got $5 out to buy my drink, i just toss it in the tip thing. this is typically once or twice a week. should i instead tip $1-2 every visit? it would work out about the same for me, but i don't know how you guys pool your tips.

i used to be totally okay with the free coffee, because i was regularly hanging out with the people hooking me up outside of starbucks, but now i'm getting free stuff from people i barely know. in some cases, i'm not even sure of their names. i used to work as a bartender though, and it was pretty well understood that all the bartenders would give out a reasonable number of free drinks to regulars and customers they liked. i thought maybe starbucks was the same and my special treatment wasn't that out of the ordinary. now that i know it's not, i think i'll start paying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bartenders make a lot more money than we do, but don't have the benefits. The free drink thing may be expected in a bar setting, you'd probably have to ask a bartender. In Starbucks case, if the District Manager found out, there's a good chance baristas could get fired. The 5 dollar thing once a week is fine in lieu of the 1-2 bucks per visit, if you want to keep with that.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB,

"venti is 2.11."

I would probably do the "slyly palm two quarters" thing and drop 39 cents. In spots like this at regular places, what I'll do a lot is just not tip a couple of times, then leave a dollar. Or tip the change when I order multiple things and it's like 8.60 or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I mentioned earlier something about if you have change less than 50 cents, you should drop it. When I'm in a similar situation (over 50 cents in change), I'll definitely palm a quarter or two. I like your form.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best way to mix booze and coffee is still a mystery; stay tuned for further developments.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a soph. in college, my roommate got his hands on his first bottle of Bailey's. He, I, and another friend got to thinking about how we'd want to drink it. "Coffee goes with Bailey's," I said. So off to Starbuck's we went. Inside, we did a little figuring about how much each of us wanted, and then my roommate went up to the counter and said, "I'd like 12 shots of espresso, please." The barista was kind of taken aback, not really sure how to serve us all that, or how to charge us for it. Apparently her register had an extra shot button, a 2 extra shots button, and a 3 extra shots button, but nothing beyond that. Eventually, she gave us a full Venti cup with them, and charged us the incremental 3rd shot price for the shots above and beyond 3. It was pretty good drinking, and we certainly got a pretty good buzz that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Size-Venti
Drink-Espresso
(Rings up as Quad Espresso)
Repeat Twice more.

This is how I'd do it, anyway.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 PM

MB,

Thanks! I simply wanted to set expectations correctly by pointing out that it was just a quick off the cuff (elapsed time of IM chat: (1:43:50 PM) to (1:46:24 PM)) thing, and not a piece of humor crafted with care for the enjoyment of OOT.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 PM

Taking another break, will answer more later. Don't know if it'll be tonight, but I'll get to 'em eventually.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:27 PM

el D,

"kidcolin: "To be honest I didn't even notice the double entendre the first time." What is the double entendre there? I have a feeling it is probably super obvious, but I just can't see it."

This could be a case of my poor vocabulary confusing you. I guess technically it's not a double entendre, more of a word play. Based on nath's response ("was that intentional?"), I figured he was referring to 'nutmeg'. It sort of adds another sexual element to it.

[ QUOTE ]
You'd be surprised at how a little nutmeg can spruce up a gash.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 PM

For such a long thread with nothing I wouldn't have automatically assumed myself this surprisingly delivered
Old 08-01-2007, 09:44 PM

Why is a triple-grande iced latte more than a venti iced latte? Same coffee less milk. I realize that the "why" is because of the pricing structure, but still seems stupid. I thought about trying to order a venti in a triple cup but just gave up on the idea of having to explain that I'm a cheap bastard every time.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:20 PM

CB, anything special I can say when I order to make sure I get the absolutely strongest/richest/boldest tasting coffee drink possible? I know nothing about coffee, but I know I like to really taste it.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:21 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
CB, anything special I can say when I order to make sure I get the absolutely strongest/richest/boldest tasting coffee drink possible? I know nothing about coffee, but I know I like to really taste it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you hate blinking?