Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which title
worlds fastest man 182 81.25%
worlds strongest man 42 18.75%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Michelle Wie the biggest joke in sports?

After carding an 82 in the 1st round of the US Open, Michelle Wie played the 1st 9 holes in round 2 at 6 over par. Then she subsequently withdrew claiming to have tweaked her wrist. Is this for real? Why would someone enter tournament after tournament if they are this injured? This has turned into a sad joke if you ask me. If I was the president of the LPGA I would be embarrassed at the mockery she is making of the tour. So let's have a poll...
Old 06-30-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Michelle Wie the biggest joke in sports?

After the eighth hole, things got worse and afterward Wie said the pain was "definitely enough to bring tears to my eyes. It was hard to do that for me, but it wasn't fun. It wasn't a great feeling."

but it brought tears to her eyes? do you have no sympathy?
Old 06-30-2007, 03:01 PM

But it was obvious throughout that she is not ready to play among the elite. Her strength has not returned and she has struggled to drive the ball far and in play. Although she said Thursday that "there is a fine line between shooting 69 and 82," it appeared she was nowhere close to shooting the lower number.

nice i almost shot a 100 yesterday, at least it's reassuring that it could've been a 72.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After the eighth hole, things got worse and afterward Wie said the pain was "definitely enough to bring tears to my eyes. It was hard to do that for me, but it wasn't fun. It wasn't a great feeling."

but it brought tears to her eyes? do you have no sympathy?

[/ QUOTE ]

dark,

I actually do have sympathy for Wie. I think most of the blame lies with her so called "camp". I mean what the hell are these people thinking? Why the hell are the letting her go out there and play? She is turning into the saddest story/biggest joke in sports and they seemingly are just standing there watching.

One of the highest goals of any professional athlete is to earn the ultimate respect of his peers. I remember an interview with Larry Bird a long time ago where the interviewer asked him what the biggest compliment he could ever receive was. His answer was something along the lines of, "Just the respect of my peers. Guys like Magic and Michael and Worthy and Charles saying that they feared me and respected me. That was the ulimate for me."

Look at how Michelle Wie's competitors are starting to view her. From this article about Wie written today by Ron Sirak, of Golf Digest: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/colum...amp;id=2921912
-------
There is also the question of the hole she is digging for herself in both her relationship with LPGA players and with the public. One player, walking to the driving range, looked at the cluster of reporters swarming around Wie and said, "What did she do, quit again?"

-------
Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the highest goals of any professional athlete is to earn the ultimate respect of his peers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching some basketball and football players one would wonder if it's a goal at all.

b
Old 06-30-2007, 04:26 PM

she is pathetic

morgan pressly is a 10x better "prodigy" then she will ever be
Old 06-30-2007, 04:31 PM

the biggest joke in sports is still ESPN and/or sports 'reporters'

ooops...sports radio is #1, but those others are competing
Old 06-30-2007, 05:41 PM

I think she has went Rick Ankiel on us, and won't win [censored] for at least 5years

come back as a probowler and perform decently

still got 20million, will get plenty more before the sponsers give up on her

Old 06-30-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think she has went Rick Ankiel on us, and won't win [censored] for at least 5years

come back as a probowler and perform decently

still got 20million, will get plenty more before the sponsers give up on her

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah she's got plenty of money no doubt. IMO she should say the hell with the LPGA tour and just go to Stanford and play golf for 4 years. She needs to learn how to win and learn to start liking golf again. She has way too much pressure on her right now and she just looks miserable out there, like the weight of the world is on her on every tee box.

Every body expected her to be the Tiger Woods of the womans game. The problem is that Tiger, mentally, is one of the toughest athletes in the world. He expects to win every single time he tees it up. It doesn't matter if he is tied or 5 shots down with 8 to play. Wie on the other hand has so little confidence in her game right now that she withdraws from a round with 2 holes to go b/c she is afraid she can't go bogey, bogey (or whatever) to avoid being kicked off the tour.

I mean damn go to college, make new friends, and party like a [censored] rock star with the 40 million dollars(or whatever) that you have. Then come back in a few years and worry about golf.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO she should say the hell with the LPGA tour and just go to Stanford and play golf for 4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean go and play for fun for 4 years and not worry about playing pro? Or does it mean that you think she should go play for Stanford, because she has zero eligibility.

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for her. A little bit. Just because I hate to see someone crash and burn so hard when they had so much potential, primarily due to the bad decisions by herself and her handlers. She hasn't been taught to handle pressure on OR off the course, and has handled herself quite poorly both places as of late. Go see a sports psychologist, quit playing on the tour for a while and get your head straight. Injury or not, continuing to "play" the way she is and WD'ing from everything to save face from missing cuts isn't going to help her.