Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Whos read Small stakes Hold-em?

Iv just had some bonus books shipped to me they arrived today. The first one i looked at was SSHE and within a few pages i realized it was geared towards limit hold-em. Problem is i never have and never will play limit so is it still worth reading? Are the ideas and theories within the book transferable or applicable to small stakes no-limit games? I dont want to waste hours reading it if its not as i have the Theory of poker, Poker essays and Harrington to get through. Thanks for any replies.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Whos read Small stakes Hold-em?

I don't think its applicable at all to NL
Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 PM

I read SSHE as I had transitioned from limit to no limit holdem. While its not aimed at NL or PL Holdem, the book helped me become a better poker player.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM

It's worth reading, it's helped more with my NL game than most of the NL books I've read.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:01 PM

I play limit, and it's the best thing I ever did for my game. Immediately improved my play. I'm still at micro limits, but I'm moving up quicker than I imagined.

At the end, the authors recommend reading it every other month or so, and I think that's probably good advice. Especially for players just starting out.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM

If you're never, ever going to play limit, then don't read it. There are just too many other books that you should be reading and re-reading instead. But if you're considering playing limit, it's a must read.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:15 PM

"There are just too many other books that you should be reading and re-reading instead."

Such as?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:23 PM

That book is only for limit and it teaches a VERY agressive style and how to eek out marginal value.

There are some good thoughts in there but the bottom line is keeping a limit mentality in NL will get you killed.

Optimal LE and NLE lines are rarely the same.

I would suggest

No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice
and
Professional No Limit Holdem
and
Gordon's little green book
Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM

good list. I'd add Theory of Poker (yes I know OP mentioned it) - this is the single best book any aspiring serious player can read - regardless of game.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Iv just had some bonus books shipped to me they arrived today. The first one i looked at was SSHE and within a few pages i realized it was geared towards limit hold-em. Problem is i never have and never will play limit so is it still worth reading? Are the ideas and theories within the book transferable or applicable to small stakes no-limit games? I dont want to waste hours reading it if its not as i have the Theory of poker, Poker essays and Harrington to get through. Thanks for any replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Small Stakes Hold'em will teach you is a good strategy for VERY loose games (an average of four or more people seeing the flop).

A normal strategy for that kind of game might be to nut peddle your big hands and big draws, and get paid off big when you have six players see the flop, and three or four of them with you all the way to showdown.

Instead, SSHE advocates a very aggresive strategy of playing even the smallest pairs (because you will give paid off big when you make a set), as well as discussion of playing other somewhat speculative hands such as Ax, K3s, or 56s.

In other words, normally bad starting hands become playable if you are against weak, loose players and getting big odds.

I was skeptical at first, but I realized that, at least at online microlimits, there are plenty of applications for this, where you will see these kinds of games, and that many loose players.

As two examples, in PokerStars NLHE .01/.02, if you are patient you will find tables that are 70% see-the-flop. In microlimit MTT, it is likely that your first two tables will be very loose.

In microlimit turbo MTTs, the big bets and shoves come fast and furious after as little as 30 minutes. If you have a decent stack, you can stick in two high cards, or almost any suited connectors, and stack two players in same hand if you hit.

Sometimes even a micro SNG will be crazy until a couple people bust out, so I think the general idea is applicable in a broad range of micro situations. If you have sex people see the flop in the first two hands, even in a SNG, be ready to get those small pairs in at every opportunity.

Two caveats:

1. Be aware that the sprecific math in the book won't apply to limit at all. It's only the idea of aggressives in very loose games that you're trying to absorb.

2. You HAVE to be able to get away from a hand if you get a bad flop. When I talk about stacking someone in a turbo, I don't mean to bet half your stack preflop with 6h6d. But if three other players see a flop of AJ6, then you're in business!

Agressive play in very loose games isn't the answer to everything, but it's an important weapon to have in your ansenal if you're playing low limits.