Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 AM

Default It\'s heads up and one player said the other said all in-ruling?

I have no clue where to post this, but have wondered for a few days what the correct ruling would be...

I was at a tournament hosted by some friends. 3 of them host one every month and have done so for at least 2 years. Everyone deals their own cards when the dealer button is in front of them and it's pretty informal

It was down to heads up and none of the organizers were at the final table. Everyone was in the side game. I overheard a person say, "Call." At the same time the chip leader was looking the other way, moving her mass of chips closer to her (they were on her left and she was putting them in a pile near her-probably should have been colored up). She said, "What are you doing? Why did you turn your cards over?" She was genuinely surprised. He says, "You said all in." She says that she said nothing of the sort!

How do you rule?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Re: It\'s heads up and one player said the other said all in-ruling?

He-said she-said?

Nobody else can confirm one way or another?

I'd rule the chip leader turns up her cards and the pot is contested without the last bet that he supposedly called that she supposedly made but nobody can confirm.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:15 AM

Give the chip leader credit for telling the truth. The other player is responsible for making sure he knows what the bet is before he announces his action. It is possible that the chip leader misspoke, but I think it is more likely that the other player misheard.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:37 AM

No. No one was around to witness it.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:41 AM

I think he misunderstood something as well, however why do you think the chip leader should be given the credit for telling the truth and not the player who turned his hand over? They both seem like honest people. He was adamant that he knew the bet was all in. She was adamant that he misunderstood.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Women always lie - there's your answer.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 AM

because usually the person who says something knows for sure what he said... the person who hears something can usually mishear.
I think the person who actually heard the other one say all-in probaly indeed heard that and that's why they were adamant.
I've had someone tell me they heard me say something and were extremely adamant that's what I said... the 3 people sitting with us heard me say exactly what I said.

I think you usually give credit to the person who are sure of what they said and not the person who thinks they heard something.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because usually the person who says something knows for sure what he said... the person who hears something can usually mishear.
I think the person who actually heard the other one say all-in probaly indeed heard that and that's why they were adamant.
I've had someone tell me they heard me say something and were extremely adamant that's what I said... the 3 people sitting with us heard me say exactly what I said.

I think you usually give credit to the person who are sure of what they said and not the person who thinks they heard something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well doesn't the person who spoke have a responsibility to speak clearly?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 AM

The guy is jumping ahead of himself. If he thought he heard her say "all-in" and he called the bet, he should have waited to see her cards first. First of all, he has the right to see her cards first (even if it is a tourney) because he is the caller. Secondly, by waiting to see her cards first he makes sure that there were no misunderstandings. A lot of players just rush and rush and then situations of this sort happen. It's not good to rush when a lot is at stake. When I call, I always insists on the aggressor showing me his (her) cards first.

So, my ruling would be that the guy was not acting responsibly. He is responsible for his own actions. If he exposes his cards, his hand is dead.

Also, even if there was no official dealer, it is the dealer's responsibility to pay attention to what is happening. From your description I can't tell who the dealer was and if he (she) was even paying any attention. This way, even if ultimately each player is responsible for his (her) own actions, at least you have a dealer (witness) who can say what exactly happened.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he exposes his cards, his hand is dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.